Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - clues needed for 460 oil leak
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 12:31 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

clues needed for 460 oil leak

My Ford 460 is putting out oil somewhere in the vicinity of the front/passenger side of the block. I can't pinpoint it at all because the fan blows the oil back along the block and passenger wall of the engine compartment.

I checked the valve covers and the gaskets were dry as could be with no hint of a leak path. Also, there doesn't appear to be any leakage around the headers, the intake manifold or the oil pan. There does appear to be a bit of oil residue around the dipstick tube - but hardly enough to account for the amount of oil I'm seeing. As best I can tell the worst of the oil is appearing about the height of the water pump shaft and to the passenger side of the engine and then it just gets worse as you go lower and toward the wall of the engine compartment (this happens to be were my alternator is located so it is getting the brunt of the oil glop).

Are there any bolts for the water pump or the front of the block that might protrude into an oil galley or passageway? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Dewey