Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   clunk noise on drum brakes (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/clunk-noise-drum-brakes-50979.html)

jartzh 11-01-2004 02:55 PM

clunk noise on drum brakes

The first time I touch the brakes going each direction (forward or reverse) I get a "clunk" . Cant pinpoint where. back out of the driveway and hit the brake and clunk. put in drive and at the first stopsign "clunk". then nothing for the rest of the drive- until I put it in reverse and hit the brakes then "clunk".

HELP!!!!

65 Riviera.

poncho62 11-01-2004 03:35 PM

Your shoes need adjusting, they are too far away from the drums..................They should be almost dragging on the drums.

jartzh 11-01-2004 06:03 PM

I guess I need a brief on adjusting the shoes. I adjust them out til the wheel wont spin. It is dragging but I can still move the hub easily, it just wont spin. These are new shoes (I verified they are the correct radius) and drums were turned.

poncho62 11-01-2004 08:03 PM

Sounds like you did OK.....it shouldn't be clunking.

RCastle 11-02-2004 01:05 PM

Is the clunck definently coming from the back?Did you do an all around brake job?If so the front caliper may not be secured tightly,when you hit the brakes the caliper will move and clunk when it stops.

poncho62 11-02-2004 01:20 PM

65 Riviera..................pretty sure it's drum brakes all around. May be mistaken................

RCastle 11-02-2004 01:25 PM

Brain Fart!!!!Did not even think about that,so use to everything being disc/drum or disc/disc.

Pony 11-02-2004 03:43 PM

Check the brake backing plate mounting bolts. The clunk could be it shifting foreward and then back.:thumbup:

helrazr3 11-02-2004 08:36 PM

i have drum brakes all around in my 66 impala and i had a bad clunk when i hit the brakes too. it turned out to be the rubber brake hoses on the front wheels they looked good from the outside but they were collapsing under pressure, new hoses and bled them its all good now. you could also feel the steering wheel pull when you first hit the pedal.

Dizturbed One 11-02-2004 10:18 PM

*runs to check his hoses*

thanks for asking this question for me, lol

jartzh 11-04-2004 06:35 AM

The hoses are not that old. So how can I tell if they are collapsing?

helrazr3 11-04-2004 11:17 AM

if there not origonal hoses then thats prbably not the problem there is no way to tell from the outside, you just have to change them and see what happens. another thing i thought of is that it might not be the brakes at all if you had a worn or bad control arm bushing you could get the same thing, the first time you hit the brake in either direction is the first time you put the load on the chasis so it would shift if there is play. also make sure the wheel bearings are tight and the ball joints and all other suspension parts are in good shape. if your not sure how to check everything properly. ask around for a good reputable shop to do a saftey check. hope this helps,

jartzh 11-04-2004 12:03 PM

I did have a shop do an alignment and they couldnt find anything wrong.

I will check the backing plate. front and back

Pony 11-04-2004 03:26 PM

To check the rears you will have to remove the brake drum, rotate the axle to line up the axcess hole in the axle with each mounting nut/bolt and tighten. Check them all as they can look tight even when not. The front backing plates are mounted to the spindles. :thumbup: