cluster voltage regulator (gauges) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Posts: 3
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cluster voltage regulator (gauges)

I have a 1969 f-100, having problems with the gauges. put on 2 cluster voltage regulators, new sending units gas, water and oil. Installed a new battery, new voltage regulator. The gauges all going from left to right not showing proper readings. I have notice that the cluster regulator gets warm then the gauges stop working they go far left. Do you think the Alternator is bad or could it be in the Ignition swith or another bad cluster regulator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 AM
302 Z28's Avatar  
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Texas
Posts: 10,810
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 81 Times in 68 Posts
Check your grounds, especially the body to battery and body to frame connections. You have a faulty ground somewhere.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2011, 09:34 AM
35terraplane's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MN, ON THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
Age: 69
Posts: 1,209
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts
cluster voltage regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael f100
I have a 1969 f-100, having problems with the gauges. put on 2 cluster voltage regulators, new sending units gas, water and oil. Installed a new battery, new voltage regulator. The gauges all going from left to right not showing proper readings. I have notice that the cluster regulator gets warm then the gauges stop working they go far left. Do you think the Alternator is bad or could it be in the Ignition swith or another bad cluster regulator.
You do know that Ford gauges are 6 volt. Ford never changed until the late 80's to 12 volt.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Posts: 3
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Check your grounds, especially the body to battery and body to frame connections. You have a faulty ground somewhere.

Vince
Vince, thanks for the input, will definately check the grounds, thanks, Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2011, 05:58 AM
LATECH's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,042
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 189
Thanked 236 Times in 219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael f100
I have a 1969 f-100, having problems with the gauges. put on 2 cluster voltage regulators, new sending units gas, water and oil. Installed a new battery, new voltage regulator. The gauges all going from left to right not showing proper readings. I have notice that the cluster regulator gets warm then the gauges stop working they go far left. Do you think the Alternator is bad or could it be in the Ignition swith or another bad cluster regulator.
The cluster regulator is just that , a regulator. It basically is a circuit breaker that turns on and off, and by doing this lowers the effective voltage for the gauges to run.It will get warm as it has a resistance wire wrapped around a bi mettalic leaf switch inside that opens and closes the switch part as it heats up. If its warm its working but problem is most likeley after all the open close cycles it has done in the 40 plus years of its existance it probably is slow to close . Replace it, and you will be fine. I think you can get one from LMC truck. You should get there catalog. it has most everything you could want.you do want to verify grounds, but I doubt that is the trouble you are having.
Check it with a test light. You will see it flash real slow. If it stops flashing after it gets warmer then the bi metalic leaf is weak and needs to be replaced.
And by the way the little metal tab that sticks out is a tension adjustment that is factory preset,it turns with needlenose pliers.It changes the preload on the leaf a little with can increase the on off time a little for fine tweaking of the gauges. You shouldnt need to do so, but thought I would mention it just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 AM
302 Z28's Avatar  
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Texas
Posts: 10,810
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 81 Times in 68 Posts
Uh read the OP, he did replace the regulator.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 AM
LATECH's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,042
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 189
Thanked 236 Times in 219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Uh read the OP, he did replace the regulator.

Vince
Yeah, I saw that. Was it NEW , ? Was it used ? was it a crap o brand. Question everything is where I am coming from. I have learned to question everything, believe close to nothing.
Chances are they arent NEW, and probably arent much good. Cant hurt to understand how they work so as to test it, just in case they are failing. I agree there may be something else as a root cause. just trying to help the man cover his bases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2011, 08:59 AM
LATECH's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,042
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 189
Thanked 236 Times in 219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael f100
Do you think the Alternator is bad or could it be in the Ignition swith or another bad cluster regulator.
*********************
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Posts: 3
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
The cluster regulator is just that , a regulator. It basically is a circuit breaker that turns on and off, and by doing this lowers the effective voltage for the gauges to run.It will get warm as it has a resistance wire wrapped around a bi mettalic leaf switch inside that opens and closes the switch part as it heats up. If its warm its working but problem is most likeley after all the open close cycles it has done in the 40 plus years of its existance it probably is slow to close . Replace it, and you will be fine. I think you can get one from LMC truck. You should get there catalog. it has most everything you could want.you do want to verify grounds, but I doubt that is the trouble you are having.
Check it with a test light. You will see it flash real slow. If it stops flashing after it gets warmer then the bi metalic leaf is weak and needs to be replaced.
And by the way the little metal tab that sticks out is a tension adjustment that is factory preset,it turns with needlenose pliers.It changes the preload on the leaf a little with can increase the on off time a little for fine tweaking of the gauges. You shouldnt need to do so, but thought I would mention it just in case.
Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Voltage Regulator in a 75? david-b Electrical 1 10-28-2010 05:56 PM
Do I need Voltage Regulator?? Fastest65 Electrical 7 11-16-2009 09:13 AM
New Gauge Cluster Panel & Gauges For 1970 Chevelle izzymiddleton Hotrodders' Lounge 1 07-28-2005 01:24 PM
voltage regulator fireguy Electrical 3 02-11-2005 08:12 AM
voltage regulator Adrenaline_Fiend Electrical 1 04-22-2003 05:18 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.