Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Which clutch?
Thread: Which clutch?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You don't have to worry about weight, so you really don't need to spend the extra for a lightweight flywheel. I'd get a regular steel flywheel, and get a 10.5" also. I'm pretty sure you can use the same starter, but you can easily count the teeth on your flexplate and compare to the 10.5" flywheel to be certain. Most 10.5" flywheels will be 168 tooth, but you can buy them for 153 tooth, so be sure it's a 168 to match your present starter.
Your car probably wont weigh over 2500 lbs max, so I'd go the 10.5" Hays. I'd also go with a regular organic/carbon or iron/organic clutch material. The iron/organic is a bit better, but a bit more money also. For your setup, I'd go diaphram type pressure plate and not 3 finger, as they are a bit smoother, and less grabby.
Ram makes a good unit also, and is a little cheaper priced than a Hays. I think your Muncie will take a 26 spline clutch disc, so make sure you get the correct spline count. Be certain to tell the seller it's for a SBC from 1980, so you get the right pressure plate.