Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Clutch Fan
Thread: Clutch Fan
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 02:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by 70bird
Electric fans are pretty easy to install. I picked up mine from Summit for about $70. It's a 16", PermaCool (I think). I chose the 16" instead of the 18" b/c it seemed to move more air by looking at the #s. I also picked up the thermostatic Painless wiring kit for around $50 and an on/off/on switch from RadioShack (wired: thermostatic trigger on/off/manuel on). It keeps my 502 cool (around 190 deg.) in stop and go traffic when its 95 deg + outside. I also have a big, two core Griffin aluminum radiator which helps a lot. I didn't notice any difference in temp switching from clutched fan to electric.

On mounting, I don't suggest using the cable/straps/ties through the radiator approach. Over time it will wear holes in the radiator. I ran some 1"x1/8" flat bar through my shroud and bolted the fan to that. I'll put some pictures in the project journal. There are also brackets that mount the fan to the top and bottom of the radiator but that was more $$.
I did a similiar install with my 49 F1 street rod with the same results, never runs more then the set temp of 195 and the dual spall fans never run more the one minute to cool the Griffin Rad down. The stat was not adjustable but is preset at on 195 off about 185*. It did run up to 210* last week going up a 16 percent grade at near 100* outside air up mountains to Big Bear Calif. But cooled right down when the air temp drop some at higher alt. I have encluded a picture of the set up b4 the install in the vehicle. Ed ke6bnl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	griffinrad&spal fan.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	2325