Clutch flight Auto trans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2003, 04:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Clutch flight Auto trans

Any ony have any info on Clutch Flight trans? I think they were built by Fairbanks, it was a kit to change over the TH400 tranys.Thanks Scott

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2003, 04:59 PM

Last photo:

the clutch flite was to convert a torqueflite to a clutch, the clutch turbo (poor mans Lenco)is what you want, i used to have one in an old bracket car, built like an early type funny car, the trans was available from fairbanks or as a kit, being a po-boy i used the kit, you cut the belhousing off a 400 turbo and bolt on the special pump housing-adapter, then bolted to a lakewood housing, the pump was driven by a fingered collar that rode against the pressure plate levers, the trans used a fine spline 1" input shaft, that was the weak part of the trans. you had to spin the tires a bit at launch or the input would twist from the torque of a big block, had a half dozen of the things hanging on the shop wall , used to paint a yellow stripe on them and use them till the stripe went around almost one complete rev, the shafts were tough but notlarge enuff, otherwise it was a good reliable trans. I think i still have some six paddle clutch plates for one somewhere
Old 01-21-2003, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

Yes thats it , i have seen a few guys running this set up with a lot of HP, One guy about 7 years ago run a white 80s camaro called pro-rock, so called street car, run in the mid to high 6s in the 1/4 fun to see off the line!! I was wondering if the set up would hold up in a heavy car?I like the thought of getting rid of the converter no HP waste other than the trans. the lenco looks like the way to go nowdays.Thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:17 AM
4THFALLEN

Last photo:

clutch flight

i have a clutch flight tranny my dad had in his 41 willy"s gasser in 1967. it is a chrysler tranny based off the torque flight tranny, he ran it behind a 426 hemi with great results. it also had a small input shaft, he ran 8.40's all day with it and only broke one on the track, and when it broke he shattered the case also. i am not sure how many he changed during the week, but that was his choice of trannys on the weekend. this tranny has B&M stamped on the front. i am currently trying to restore an old 48 anglia gasser he had and i will be using this tranny. my problem is i dont have a hemi, i have to figure how to get it behind a 427 chevy i have.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

The Clutch-flite (Chrysler) and Turbo-flite (GM) conversions done by B&M, Fairbanks,Hydro-Motive and C&O helped smaller cu in drag cars to launch like a stick and avoid a bog of the line. Hi stall converters were the next step and doomed the xx-flites. Way back my friend and his partners had an Anglia with a small hilborn injected Hemi. It was uncontrollable with a stick trany ( given the name "The HOP Toad") they tried a torqueFlite and had a serious bog off the line. They went to a B&M Clutch-Flite trans and had did fairly good after that in the SoCal Valley area.

Moodeye777: Some Clutch-Flites used the stock bellhousing and just modified it, others removed the bellhousing, used a thick front block off plate/pump mount and bolted a scattershield to it. It sounds like you have the first. I'd contact B&M and see if they can help. Good Luck

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.