clutch help for sag3 to muncie4 swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2005, 12:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

clutch help for sag3 to muncie4 swap

i just bought this 67 short chevy truck with a 283/3 speed and im going to rod it with a big block and muncie 4 speed, also narrowed 9" MT33x21.5 blah blah... any way the clutch is fried but the 283 is great low mile on rebuild so i figure id go ahead and stab the muncie up to the 283 while i set up the rear end and suspension. that way i can drive it around the neighbor hood and in and out of the garage. i know the muncie has a 10 spline input shaft and i beleive the saginaw has more, right? so will the 3 spd bell housing accept the 4 speed? and what year model clutch parts shoud i use for the muncie, im planning on just using an OE clutch master kit for now, itll handle the little 283. i pulled the trans from a friends 76 T/A 400 car, not original trans, casting numbers say its a 65 m20 or 21

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2005, 03:53 AM

Last photo:

10 spline muncie and sag use the same clutch, muncies only went to 73, make sure it's GM and not Borg Warner.
Either way, all 10 spline GM including Holden and Borg supplied boxes will work with the same disc.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:24 AM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:

Go for it!!
You will only have to count the splines on the disc and your box replace the same presser plate size with what you have now. Do you have linkage for the new box (shift not clutch). I have done this with my 55 GMC went from a Borg Warner 4 speed to a 3 speed Sag. and now I have a Tremac 5-speed. I used the same bell housing and changed the clutch disc for the Tremac works great and the Tremac clears the seat with the shifter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (11).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	7847   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (11) Copy.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	7848   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (9).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	7849  
Old 11-15-2005, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

The Tranny out of a 76 T/A should be a T-10 I believe, with 26 spline input shaft. All in all if it is a 10 spline everything should bolt up except for maybe driveline may need to be cut. Just a question, won't the shifter be a little low for a truck??? not trying to be an ***
Old 11-15-2005, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

Check the diameter of the trans front bearing retainer where it fits inside the big hole in the back of the bellhousing. Some of the Chevy trucks from that era had a bigger hole than the cars did, and the retainer diameter needs to match the hole diameter, or the trans won't line up right.

As far as the clutch disc goes, if the spline count is different, just get a disc that matches the old one, but with the correct spline count.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:04 AM

Last photo:

1963-- yeah the TA should be T10 but its was scrapped by previous owner, when my friend bought it it had a 1973 poncho400 +.030 and muncie 4 speed im positive its a muncie i checked all the casting ##s and it has seperate reverse lever on tailhousing. he then had the trans checked and refreshed and bored block to .060, shaved heads .050, ferrera racing valves and full roller set up but he kept wiping cams out (3) and gave up on it. so i got a deal on the trans for pulling the drive train out of the car for him. but the bell housing wont go chevy its a poncho pattern.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:09 AM

Last photo:

1963-- yeah the shifter he had was about 4 inches tall,, way to short. summit and jegs have truck shifters(clear the seat) for the 4 speed muncie but ofcourse theres alot longer throw between gears. i plan on drag racing (ill be stuffing a 454 in after i do the suspension) so i might go ahead and buy some racing seats and get the short shifter.. but id rather go ahead and put the muncie in if i change the clutch so i might end up with both shifters.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:13 AM

Last photo:

jimfulco-- thanks for the tip ill compare the bearing retainer hole size on the bellhousing to the poncho bellhousing its out in my garage now.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:18 AM

Last photo:

US PATENT NO. 3088336
GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION
P0220

ALL MUNCIE,, not a suckinaw or borg weiner
Old 11-16-2005, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

Jimfulco is right on, I forgot that LITTLE detail about the bearing retainer! we are talking about a VERY close fit within .000 th. not inches. Those Saginaw's are not that bad of a gear box for a everyday cruiser, until the start making noise!!
Old 11-18-2005, 12:45 AM

Last photo:

that close huh, i have some dial calipers ill measure the poncho and chevy bell housings, at work (press brake operator) i have to be within .030" so i should be able to not mess that up! i can always buy another bellhousing on ebay if i need, thanks alot!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:01 AM

Last photo:

i keep trying to upload photos but it wont work and its getting a little agrivating... i click on browse select photo (jpeg formatted to low quality) and click upload. after it says done ina few minutes i get a blank white screen and nothing further, im clueless on computers
Old 11-19-2005, 06:29 AM

Last photo:

If it is not the right one I would go for the bearing retainer on the box not the bellhousing

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.