Clutch Info. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2003, 05:29 PM
drive it like you hate it

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Clutch Info.

Okay, the clutch in my car is slipping, time for a new one...Here's my specs:

1977 Chevy Camaro
305 v8
Super T10 4 spd trans(out of a 1976 model)
car converted from auto before we bought it, so it has real high gears (2.73)

I was hoping I could find out the size of my flywheel and the number of splines on the input shaft. Thanks for any help. Oh and if anyone can comment, how good are these clutches: Ram, Zoom, Hays, and Centerline. I plan to go with either Ram or Hays cause they are a little easier on the wallet...Thanks again...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2003, 07:10 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Centerforce gold all the way. Keeps the pedal feeling real light with no leg cramping and will last a lifetime. More expensive initially, but will outlast all the others. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 09-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

We've been using Centerforce Dual Friction with excellent results.
Somebody out there may know how many splines on a super T-10. Or, you will find out, along with the clutch size, when you tear it down. You'll have to have the flywheel resurfaced anyway so you'll have the time to order the disc and clutch plate.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

yeh, I was hoping to get this done over the course of at most 2 weekends as i will have to travel home from college to do it. I thought Centerforce's were fairly more expensive than the others, thats why i hadn't thought much about them, but I'll look into it. Anyone know what flywheel resurfacing usually goes for? Thanks a lot for the help, and if anyoen does know size and spline count, please feel free to speak up...

edit: hey guys, I checked Jeg's for Centerforce clutches. I like the way the Dual Friction sounds due to the increased holding and my tall gears. But I cannot find one for my specific setup with the 305 and super t10. here's a link to the page http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...50&prmenbr=361

Lemme know if you see something I could use, thanks again...

Last edited by redcamaro4spd; 09-29-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

Figured it couldn't hurt, here are the casting numbers from the passenger side of the tranny:

7-22-76
1304 065 903
W. G. DIV
FpC 2
Old 09-30-2003, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

That trans should and I only mean should be a 26 spline input. You should be able to drop the inspection pan and figure out the flywheel size. Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

yeh , thats helps some man, thanks. i think yer rite bout the 26 spline input shaft, cause i think i remember reading that somewhere. Would I just measure the flywheel or might it say the size on there somewhere?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

I don't think it has it printed anywhere on the flywheel. I just had a look at an old engine in the shop and you should be able to measure the flywheel from the engine side but the clutch is almost inpossible to see. By your numbers the trans is a warner so from the info I have it is probably a 11" clutch. In those years if it was a sag 4 speed or a 3 speed it would probably be a 10 spline input and a 10.4 clutch. With the centerforce dual friction they only sell them matched so you can't just change the friction plate if you choose wrong.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

okay, what yer saying goes along with what my friend's tranny guy told me. he said that if it is a Super t10, it should have an 11" plate and a 1 1/8" x 26 spline input shaft. So I guess I'll just go with this and if my dad has time at home, he can check it out sometime for me. I doubt I can afford a dual friction clutch because this particualr model is like 375$ at Jeg's so maybe I'll look at one of Centerforce's lesser clutches...Thanks for all the help folks.

edit: Summit lists that clutch at 275.99 so that aint too bad...

Last edited by redcamaro4spd; 09-30-2003 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:54 PM

CENTERFORCE (MIDWAY INDUSTRIES) is located in Prescott, AZ.
You cannot buy direct from them, but they have an excellent tech support department http://www.centerforce.com/
I suggest you contact them with any questions you have about their products. The CENTERFORCE Dual Friction is what I've used in two of my three tri five cars with GM crate HO motors. They are light in the pedal with brute holding power. The level I will hold 30% better than stock, level II will hold 60% better than stock and the Dual Friction is 90% better than stock. They also sell flywheels and throw out bearings, the latter of which should be replaced with a clutch job.
If you really want to trick out your clutch system, look at SPEED DIRECT http://www.speeddirect.com/ for heim joint clutch linkage. Your leg will thank you for the upgrades.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

thanks for all the nfo man, yet I was just confused again by Summit who told me that I should have a 10.5 inch, 10 spline shaft so i dunno what to think, that was even after i told them it was a t10. so i guess well have to drop everything and see before we order...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.