clutch/master cylinder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 05:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question clutch/master cylinder

Hi All,
I am wondering if there is a formula to figure
the size of a clutch master cylinder to use in a
4 speed set up.Do i have to have a special
length pedal?I am using a 1" bore master cylinder.
I Had a mechanical linkage before.
Thanks,
elkay65

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2004, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

I just bought one from Speedway did'nt ask questions your into.
I have a hanging linkage/pedal set up from a Dodge Viper and I made a rod that hooks up to the master cylinder at the firewall inside and then onto the Viper linkage through a ball trunion. The trunion can be adjusted along the actuator rod to control pedal height. At the clutch end I set the cylinder rod a little more than finger tight onto the clutch fork, bleed the cylinder and ran it a while. After the fork centered itself I readjusted the cylinder rod same way and its been working fine. I do not recommend any play in the linkage. Biggest problem I have had was finding a place to mount he slave cylinder..I finally welded up something from scrap parts. I was told just buy an S-1o bell housing and it had the cylinder mount but I ordered same and it did not match engine pattern it was off by 20 degrees.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

clutch m/c

Wally,
Thanks for the info ,i'll give your suggestion a try.
Thanks again.
elkay65
Old 09-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Wally, sounds like you got a 3rd Generation f-body bellhousing rather than a T-5 S-10. It should have been mounted striaght up.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

Whatever it is I got it laying out there with my other mistakes. Probably will go to swap meet some day and try to unload all the items that I won't be using.

Went to the Chevy dealer parts dept about five years ago...they had the whole parking lot full of engines. Guess they were all warrenty items. I said well you can start loading them onto my truck,, you can have one the guy said and I did not complain just watched as he loaded it onto my truck.

Turned out to be a 454 .30 over, no intake but all else was there..no grease clean as new...I gave it to my kid who had just been whinning about how bad he wanted a big block. When he tore it down it looked like the cylinders needed to be rebored which he did to 040 and gave me the heads, 30 pistons and the rods, all look new. Some day I will build a big block. Heads are good enough for my needs just not good enough for the younger know it alls. But its still running in his '68 Impala convertable sounds great...only cost parts and overbore. So every attempt is not always a loss just I would not buy any S-10 bellhousing unless I got the v8 block laying there to try fit.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Since no one has answered the question yet...

1 inch bore with a 2" stroke Will give you a two inch stroke if the bore in the slave is 1 inch. If you need more stroke you can go with a 7/8 bore and get 2 1/4 inches. The volume of fliud has to equal the amount of space you intend on displacing. With out getting into math formula's, (they are boring to write out) just think of them as a ratio. 1:1 is inch to an inch slave and 1:2 is an inch to a 2 inch slave.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:21 PM

clutch/slave cylinder

Hi, it looks like I might have the same problem as far as slave cyl. movement I'm getting from my clutch master cylinder. My MC has a 3/4 " bore, and my slave cylinder has a 1" bore. When I depress the clutch pedal, I only get about a inch movement from the slave cylinder. This is not enough to release the clutch, it looks like it will need at least another inch. When I adjust the clutch to work then I have no freeplay at the clutch throw out bearing. This is very frustrating, I can't the car to move after we got the engine running etc. HELP, thanks, Rock.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:37 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

You need either a 7/8 bore M/C if you have a really stiff clutch or if you have a stock type easy clutch you can use a 1 inch master cylinder.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:02 AM

Master cylinder

Thanks for the info, I'm going to order the 7/8 mc from wilwood, it looks like it will fit, it has a 1 7/16 piston travel. My clutch is a stock unit that is used on a 64 chevy 292-6 with a muncie trans. I hope this works I would like to drive my car, thanks, Roger.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.