Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Clutch on and off
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 07:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Clutch on and off

Recently I went racing and when I went to do a burnout on my second pass the clutch started slipping terribly and my clutch pedal felt much softer. I managed to get it home without it slipping to much at all, then I re-adjusted it to see if it would grip better, and it did and seemed to work perfectly. A few blocks later it was back to how it was, maybe slightly better so I headed home then just as quickly as it went bad it went good again. I did a couple burnouts in second to see if it would slip but it held great just as it was before I went racing. The next day it was on again off again so I took the whole linkage assembly apart and made sure everything was tight and in working order. Still the problem persisted would work great then not. I drove it like this for the rest of the week and could not find a pattern as to why it would switch back and forth. Today I removed the clutch expecting to find damage or maybe a few loose bolts but everything appears to be in working order, the clutch is a little worn on the flywheel side and patch's of overheating do show (most likely form the bad burnout at the track) the pressure plate is blue in one section, even on the backside.

It is a centerforce dual friction clutch and I have been driving it for more the 6 months with no problems. The engine makes around 450hp and I have never used soft compound tires or abused the clutch until that one burnout. what could be causing my on again off again problems? Sometimes I can feel when the clutch becomes firm again, as if something popped back into place. I plan on replacing the clutch but I would like to know what is wrong with it. Has anyone had similar problems or have an explanation? Thank-you in advance.

Derek