clutch problem 93 cobra mustang? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

clutch problem 93 cobra mustang?

i will try this again. i had articulated quite a nice post and right before i went to post it my son hit some buttons on the laptop and it disappeared. this post wont be as time consuming as now i am angry and sick of typing.

After much research I THINK I have a clutch problem. Before i tear into it and spend some money i wanted to get some expert advice from some of the genius on this site. Im even sure that many of you have had this exact issue with a 93 cobra...possibly.

the car is making a vibrational noise with some chatter...i thought it was the speedo or instrument panel at first...but i think its the clutch. sometimes its noticeable when accelerating, very noticeable when decelerating speed without the clutch being depressed. when i feel the clutch pedal as the noise is being made the pedal is vibrating. no noise when sitting and idling, no noise when clutch pedal is depressed (even if i just press the pedal just a little the noise stops).

car has always seemed to shift really well, sometimes it takes a little finesse to get into reverse.

im guessing the clutch disc, pressure plate, possibly flywheel, pilot bearing, and self adjusting mechanism might need replaced. is this a replace one part replace the whole deal type thing?

Am i even on the right track...maybe its the tranny (God i hope not), maybe its something else.

if it is the clutch i was looking at FRPP King cobra or centerforce's dual friction clutch.

Thanks for any and all information.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

Well I'm no genius but I'll give it a shot. T5's aren't the best transmissions in the world, however the 92 and 93 are probably some of the best ones that were built. I'd like to know how many miles are on the car, but from what it sounds like you've got either a bad pressure plate or disc. A pilot bearing can sometimes cause some similar symptoms, but you stated that it makes no noise when the clutch is depressed so I don't think thats your issue. One thing you can try is get the car up to 30-40 mph and note your rpms, press the clutch in to disengage the trans, while holding the clutch rev the engine up to the rpms where they were when the trans was engaged and quickly let the clutch out. If you feel the trans slip or vibrate its a pretty good indicator that the clutch is shot. If it grabs tight and the car jerks a little your clutch is fine. I would probably do this in 3rd gear since 2nd is usually the weakest link in the t5 and this test is a little stressful on the trans.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 AM

Thank you for taking time to respond to my issue...i do appreciate it!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check you clutch cable first, the factory cables like to stretch over time.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:03 PM

thanks for your time...will do.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 PM
CQNRQY

Last photo:

Clutch problem?

Check the cable First they stretch!!!
If it's the oem cable I'd replace it because they are junk!
This would be a great place to start even if you need more than a cable. If you plan on putting a heavier clutch in the future make sure you put in a cable thats ment for that extra presure Maybe do it any way since the OEM ones will NOT last
I think SNIDS is on the right track with the king cobra centre force clutch especially if your going to let her go once in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by snids53
i will try this again. i had articulated quite a nice post and right before i went to post it my son hit some buttons on the laptop and it disappeared. this post wont be as time consuming as now i am angry and sick of typing.

After much research I THINK I have a clutch problem. Before i tear into it and spend some money i wanted to get some expert advice from some of the genius on this site. Im even sure that many of you have had this exact issue with a 93 cobra...possibly.

the car is making a vibrational noise with some chatter...i thought it was the speedo or instrument panel at first...but i think its the clutch. sometimes its noticeable when accelerating, very noticeable when decelerating speed without the clutch being depressed. when i feel the clutch pedal as the noise is being made the pedal is vibrating. no noise when sitting and idling, no noise when clutch pedal is depressed (even if i just press the pedal just a little the noise stops).

car has always seemed to shift really well, sometimes it takes a little finesse to get into reverse.

im guessing the clutch disc, pressure plate, possibly flywheel, pilot bearing, and self adjusting mechanism might need replaced. is this a replace one part replace the whole deal type thing?

Am i even on the right track...maybe its the tranny (God i hope not), maybe its something else.

if it is the clutch i was looking at FRPP King cobra or centerforce's dual friction clutch.

Thanks for any and all information.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

The throw out bearing could be all dried up also.and can cause vibration like you are talking about.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

My son had a "93" GT Mustang that we put (4) T-5 transmissions in. The T-5 transmissions are not built to withstand the abuse a 17 year old puts them through I guess. His Mustang developed a bad vibration at idle. Come to find out it was the factory harmonic balancer. The rubber bonding had seperated almost to the point of coming apart.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 AM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

When you figure it out, let us know what it was.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQNRQY
Check the cable First they stretch!!!
If it's the oem cable I'd replace it because they are junk!
This would be a great place to start even if you need more than a cable. If you plan on putting a heavier clutch in the future make sure you put in a cable thats ment for that extra presure Maybe do it any way since the OEM ones will NOT last
I think SNIDS is on the right track with the king cobra centre force clutch especially if your going to let her go once in a while
thanks for your time and info! appreciate your two cents worth!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
The throw out bearing could be all dried up also.and can cause vibration like you are talking about.

thats interesting....would i just grease her up or replace it? probably replace it if its a dried up bearing thats been grinding itself up????
Old 03-16-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
My son had a "93" GT Mustang that we put (4) T-5 transmissions in. The T-5 transmissions are not built to withstand the abuse a 17 year old puts them through I guess. His Mustang developed a bad vibration at idle. Come to find out it was the factory harmonic balancer. The rubber bonding had seperated almost to the point of coming apart.

whoa didnt even think of that...would that be something you can just eyeball and tell if its bad??? would that make the clutch pedal vibrate? would i have to yank the engine to replace that or maybe just the radiator?

thanks for your time and info!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSouthWon
When you figure it out, let us know what it was.

absolutely...will do...it might take me some time but i will post when done...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Sounds like your throw out bearing is riding on the clutch all the time. A stretched cable or out of adjustment can cause this. Not sure what those have for adjustment. Some of the Mustangs had a funky setup under the dash. A worn clutch will also cause the pressure plate fingers to extend a bit more and this could also cause contact between the fingers and the bearing.
Do not attempt to put grease on anything. Most throw out bearings are sealed and the grease is just going to end up on the clutch disk, flywheel and pressure plate and cause more issues.

Chet
Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snids53
whoa didnt even think of that...would that be something you can just eyeball and tell if its bad??? would that make the clutch pedal vibrate? would i have to yank the engine to replace that or maybe just the radiator?

thanks for your time and info!
It depends on how bad it is. The way we could tell was to start the motor and watch the balancer. It was actually "wobbling" which led me to think it was bad. Even if you can't see a wobble, it can still be bad. When we got ours off, we compared it to the new one and noticed that the timing marks were different. This was caused by the rubber allowing the outer hub to slip on the inner hub. I have heard this is quite common on this Mustangs. You can replace it with the motor in the car. I can't remember if we had to remove the radiator or not but it was only like a 1-1/2 hour job. If the harmonic balancer is bad, it will make everything vibrate. Keep us posted.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.