Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Clutch problems on 66 Mercury
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 08:42 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The clutch works fine, it is not slipping a bit at all, the pedal is just stuck on the floor and it wont adjust out. I had my girlfriend press on the clutch pedal as I was under the car and everything looked good. I pulled the dust boot off the fork and checked for movement of the throw out bearing and to see if anything was not right, everything was good there. I checked the pivot points and nylon bushings on the equalizer bar and everything is good. The last thing I checked was the rod coming off of the pedal assembly and the pedal return spring. The rod looks like it is coming out at a angle and the clutch return spring on the pedal assembly wont tension when the pedal is pushed. I went over to Ford Forum.com and somebody over there said that since my car was originally set up for a long style clutch that a diaphragm clutch wont work unless I get a weaker clutch pedal return spring. Is this true or is it a bunch of BS, I cannot find anything else wrong besides the pedal return spring and clutch rod. This is the second clutch that has been put in my car with the exact same problem. This is driving me nuts and I am about ready to say forget it and let it sit another year.

BTW, the engine is a 66 289 with a cast iron 28 spline 4 speed Borg Warner T10 out of a 65 Ford Fairlane Fairlane. The flywheel was resurfaced and the clutch is a 10" Ram for SB Ford.