Clutch problems! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 08:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Clutch problems!

ok sorry for the ! but this is really gettin at me..... i have a 1971 mustang mach1 with a 4speed trans. when i got it, about 3 years ago i put a new clutch kit in it before i even drove it... the clutch pedal has always felt wrong, even before i replaced the clutch, just opporating it... the engine wasnt running before. anyway... it seems to be getting a little worse as time goes on, and now because of gas and college costing to damn much its on non-op, which will be good 'fix the beast' times. the clutch pedal seems to retract veeery slowly to a point, and then i have to move it the last 2-2.5 inches with my foot, i tried a burnout like a ******* ... and it came back slow enough to drag i tried to lube every spot i found on the linkage using, oil, then grease, then finaly liquid gold Triflow. nothing fixed it... im not sure what to do, and one last thing im thinking of is maybe the grease on the input shaft has gotten hot and sticky? ANY help would be greatly appreciated... as i have a couple more questions comming up , i can supply pictures of anything you need just gimmie time, im super busy, thanks!
-Clayton (sorry for the long length)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006, 08:53 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

Did you just say,"grease on the input shaft"?????? Talk to me Goose, I have never, and I mean Never had to grease an input shaft, even when fixing modern FWD cars. How much grease did you use on the input shaft, and where exacly did you put it. Are you using it to make a nice slick surface for the throwout bearing? If the throwout bearing is hanging up, then there are other issues at play that won't be solved with grease.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Clutch problems!

I don't know much about Mustangs but is there a clutch pedal return spring? I know they wear out or break. When I had to lift the pedal the last few inches on my clutch a long time ago it was the clutch pedal return spring that was soft. A new one returned everything to normal.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:12 PM

hrmm

well to tell you the truth im not 100% sure if i had some on there, i thought i did, but it was like 3 years ago and i was 16 then, and dont remember to well . what kind of thinks should i look at? or would you think to look at? what would cause the throwout bearing to hang up? it does have a set of headers someone put on that they had to somewhat bang up to get in... they could have tweaked some clutch linkage that i cant notice, never looking at it before, or on another car.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
I don't know much about Mustangs but is there a clutch pedal return spring? I know they wear out or break. When I had to lift the pedal the last few inches on my clutch a long time ago it was the clutch pedal return spring that was soft. A new one returned everything to normal.
there are a few springs.. im not sure which ones would be worn out... i did look at californiamustang.com and found that i can get many parts for the linkage/springs, but im not sure what i should get or if i need to get it
Old 02-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnTool
Did you just say,"grease on the input shaft"?????? Talk to me Goose, I have never, and I mean Never had to grease an input shaft, even when fixing modern FWD cars. How much grease did you use on the input shaft, and where exacly did you put it. Are you using it to make a nice slick surface for the throwout bearing? If the throwout bearing is hanging up, then there are other issues at play that won't be solved with grease.

I've put a verrrry slight amount of grease on the input shaft splines to make sure that the clutch disc can float on them, and another very small amount on the front bearing retainer snout for the release bearing.

Demondrive, I'd take a close look at the return spring as mentioned, actually removing it to look for stretching. If it has stretched enough to cause your problem, you'll know it. Also, look at all the pivot points for bushing wear. If the plastic/brass (maybe?) bushings have completely worn through, you can end up with a very sticky pedal, and lube may not help. If nothing wrong is apparant, and as this problem preceeded the clutch transplant, I'd say pull it, and have a look at the snout that the release bearing sl;ides on. It may have a gouge or "step" worn into it, causing the bearing to hang up. Also, look at the pivot stud, if it has worn off or the release fork has worn, it could cause a hanging clutch.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Drive it Like u Stole it!

there's only one spring on the clutch assembly, and it's located on the pedal carrier (brake/clutch pedal carrier). it's called a "breakover" spring, and it's designed to help the tough clutch actuation of a long-style pressure plate. modern diaphragm-style pressure plates have a nice & easy pedal effort, compared to the long-style pressure plate. from the sounds of it, it seems you have some kind of resistance on the transmission input shaft collar, that the release bearing slides on. on some instances of remove/replacement, i've had to take a very fine steel wool and scrub the collected dirt from the collar (new release bearings wont have any buildup). there is one other spring, somewhat unrelated, that exists on the clutch linkages - it's purpose is the hold together the z-bar and pressure plate release fork, with the adjustment rod inbetween. but it only holds that assembly together.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:11 AM

thanks

ill be sure to try to look at everything you guys have pointed out, unfortunately i rarely have a freeweekend with work, college, and bein a rockstar if any of you guys like metal at all... i am playing at the whisky a go-go tonight (2-23-06) at 10 come on by if youd like!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.