clutch scattershield options? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

clutch scattershield options?

So i have a 95 Chevy half ton with an nv4500 transmission out of a 95 chevy 2500. It has an aluminum bellhousing and from what i can see on summitracing there is no aftermarket steel bellhousings available for this transmission. I do see some scattersheilds available for automatics but from what i can tell nobody uses those for the purpose of covering the clutch. I was thinking about using a blanket but that really wouldn't be ideal on a mud truck, it would get caked up with mud.

What options do i have for protecting my feet from my clutch if it shatters? Or is it even necessary, the bell housing is pretty beefy on this transmission.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Aluminum has about as much resistence to a clutch explosion as tissue paper..What we did in the old days was to make a pattern with poster board of a shape that surrounded the bell housing and then transfer that pattern to a piece of 1/4 inch steel which was cut to shape and then bent to conform to the shape of the bell housing. this piece is then attached by means of the bellhousing bolts to the back of the block. the scattershield should extend to the front of the trans and down far enough to deflect any debris from coming up through the floor boards and into the drivers feet and legs..

Now for sure I am not sure of where you can find someone with the fab skills to make one of these things as the skills needed are fast becoming obsolete.

Sam
Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy1500z71 View Post
So i have a 95 Chevy half ton with an nv4500 transmission out of a 95 chevy 2500. It has an aluminum bellhousing and from what i can see on summitracing there is no aftermarket steel bellhousings available for this transmission. I do see some scattersheilds available for automatics but from what i can tell nobody uses those for the purpose of covering the clutch. I was thinking about using a blanket but that really wouldn't be ideal on a mud truck, it would get caked up with mud.

What options do i have for protecting my feet from my clutch if it shatters? Or is it even necessary, the bell housing is pretty beefy on this transmission.
Unless you are turning some high rpm I really see no need. But if there is a need (even if it's just peace of mind), you can also armor the tranny tunnel area of the cab instead of using a tranny mounted device.

Advanced has a bell but it's also aluminum. Seems odd no one has a steel bell for the 4500, but I didn't look very hard.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM

i used to hear of folks using scattershields on cars that expected to see extremely high RPMs, but most street performance vehicles did not use them. However, I did see a street-driven SS 396 Chevelle where the clutch blew up, and pieces of the it went straight up and through the hood. It definitely made you think.

Bruce
Old 12-16-2012, 11:52 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There should be a cast iron version of the aluminum bell you now have, it would be stronger- and heavier, but if you have a hydraulic clutch the mounts wouldn't be there...
Old 12-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

well i could fab up a home made setup, i have some 1/4" steel around and i have a small welder that would just barely weld it.

5300 is where i have the fuel cut set on this motor. but being that its in a mud truck, it lives around 4500rpm constantly so i thought it would be a good idea. iv seen a clutch explode on a jeep with a warmed over small block doing a truck pull. rpms weren't high but the clutch was slipping, i think the heat caused it to fail.

what do you guys think about the blankets? that would be the easy route.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.