Clutch/Throw-out bearing in 2002 F-Body - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2003, 05:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Clutch/Throw-out bearing in 2002 F-Body

I have a 2002 Firebird V6, with the manual 5 speed transmission, and have always had noise coming from the throw-out bearing. I had the dealer replace it under warranty, but it still seems to make a lot of noise like it's dry....My question is this...

Is the throw-out bearing, and the slave cylinder on the clutch housing sort of integrated, or is the cylinder outside and away from the bearing....the reason I ask, is that the slave is now leaking, and everytime I push the pedal it's sucking in air, and now will not go into gear....The dealer is going to charge $675 to fix the leak, and I was wondering if there was any other explaination, like did they replace the bearing and cause the leak?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I think, but not positive, the slave is inside the bellhousing, bolted to the front of the transmission. same place a pump would be in a automatic. That's where you high prices are coming from. they have to completely remove the trans to change it. I don't see how replacing the bearing would cause it to leak. Other than a really crappy job to say the least. If it hasn't been to long than complain and see if they will bargian with you for a lower price on the replacment. In fact if you really think they are to blame then throw a coniption fit and see what happen's. Either way it should'nt be leaking at all. If fluid were to get on the clutch plate then it may cause a very annoying chatter as well. It shouldn't make any noise either.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:11 PM

I actually did sort of a "coniption" by email to the GM corporate...They called back in a couple of hours. I told them that I have bought 8 GM cars, and this is the 3rd Firebird, and the clutch was fixed two times before this....all under warranty, and now RIGH AFTER the warranty is up, the slave goes.....hmmmmm

The slave shouldn't be a part that I have to replace regularly, and I am very easy on clutches....

I'm hoping that this will encourage the dealership's service department to give me a break....

Thanks for the info though!
Old 08-26-2003, 09:41 PM
you're killin me buck!

Last photo:

dunno about v6 f bodies, but the v8 slave and throw out brg. are one unit.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:33 PM

So if I were to complain about a less than stllar t/o bearing replacement causing the slave issue, I wouldn't be too far off? I really wish I wasn't in such a bind right now, or I would ahve done the replacement myself along with a higher performance clutch...

If anyone knows for sure if the t/o and slave are the same or close, let me know...even if it is just for the curiosity.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:36 PM

Clutch/Brake suggestions?

OK...I got the "official" word from the maintenance person working on my car that the t/o bearing and the slave cylinder are one in the same unit. If they replace the bearing, they are also replacing the slave. I guess that means I have ammo to negotiate with....

On another subject, I'm thinking of putting a "performance" clutch in it, and was wondering what else I should get to go along with it? Shift kit? New drive shaft? New gears?

Also, I'm going to replace the stock brakes with a vented rotor and better calipers...any suggestions there?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.