Hot Rod Forum banner

Coating a wood bench with fiberglass resin?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  tech69 
#1 ·
My daughters Girl Scout troop have a bench at the church that sponsors them that they have painted a number of times over the years. I am thinking that maybe coating it in fiberglass resin would do the trick to keep it nice for much longer (or forever). I have a few gallons of resin and would donate it, what do you think?

Brian

#2 ·
Yup, fiberglass over wood is done all the time in boat building.. Theres a few 2 part wood 'poly's' available that are nothing more than low viscosity epoxy resin..

The polyester you likely have will work just fine. It's not UV stable for outdoor tho.. Spar varnish would be better outdoors

#3 ·
So the polyester resin over the sanded wood would do it? I have a few gallons of resin that's why I ask. But if it's not right then we will get epoxy. But I am thinking the poly resin would do the job? Then paint over it with regular old house paint?

Brian

#5 ·
Ahhhh, about 15 years. But I have never had a problem with that, now the hardener that is a whole different story! But tell me, because my experience with fiberglass is damn limited, is there a problem with it at that age, using new MEKP?

Brian

#8 ·
Yup A or B coat is one way of looking at it..If the underlying wood looks good then all you need is the finish of resin. sometime wood boats are finished this way and then a clear coat of varnish or just shoot a coat of your automotive clear on the tables. Makes a beautiful finish.

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.