Hot Rod Forum banner

Coddington - 31 Roadster Pickup - Up for Grabs

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
While attending Barrett-Jackson 2013 Scottsdale, I came across the Boyd Coddington '1931 Ford Roadster Pickup. I didn't know what it was as it was not yet marked with display copy. The owners rep had just parked it. This build struck me as being very simple and clean.

I'm told it is Boyd's 3rd to the last build. I wonder what it will go for on the block.

The owners sent me this description;
1931 FORD ROADSTER PICKUP SPECIFICATIONS
Originally aired on American Hot Rod: February 22nd, March 1st & 8th 2007
• 350 Ram Jet Engine
• 700 R4 Turbo Transmission
• Boyd Coddington built Pro Ride Chassis
• Brookville steel body highly modified by Boyd
• Handmade Marcell 3-piece aluminum hood
• Dan Fink stainless steel billet grill
• Boyd billet steering wheel
• Custom Magnaflo stainless steel exhaust with cut outs
• Boyd billet gauge panel
• 5" Drop axel with 4 bar front suspension
• Pro-ride independent rear end by Boyd
• 4 Wheel disc brakes
• One-off Boyd billet wheels 15" front 17" rear
• Custom oak bed
• Handmade 3 piece hood
• Custom handmade leather interior by Gabe Lopez

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry but you are fishing in the wrong pond, people here build their cars they don't spend RIDICULOUS amounts of money for what was built in a shop by guys just like us and then a big name is attached to.

Brian

#3 ·
Hey Brian,
I do my own work too. I'm not fishing for anything. Just reporting what I saw. If guys here have no interest or find no beauty in the build, sorry to waste their time for looking. Good for ideas at least and maybe history and interest to some.

I did post previously to ask what people would like to see. Got no response.
I just got curious what this might bring, now that Mr. Coddington is gone. Too bad he had a TV show with all the bad drama. His legend might have been better had he not, I do not know.

Dave

#4 ·
Sorry Dave, but you have three posts and this looks like something someone would post who has interest in selling this car, why all the run down of features? Looks like an ad to me. If I am wrong I am sorry.

Brian

#5 ·
Again Dave, I am sorry for making the assumption, we sometimes have to call them as we see them but the translation in a post from English to brain isn't always perfect.

Brian

#8 ·
H'mm I have less than 5,000 in my build but then if I had to pay the labor it would be considerably higher..If I were to sell it I might make 50 cents an hour on it but I am having fun anyway and isn't that why we do this..??? And then again I am not about to buy something that I can make for myself and I did make pretty good doing things for those who either did not know how or did not want to if you get my drift. It is nice to look at some of the builds and maybe steal an idea but no I am not paying that kind of price..

Sam

#20 ·
Good point Sam. How about all the tools and space required to be a custom builder jack of all trades? Now you need to be in the business because of all those extra expenses. Sometimes things need to be farmed/subbed out. Truth be known, it happens all the time.

#9 ·
I like following the auctions. I get a perverse sense of glee when I see a rich dude lose his butt on a high dollar purchase from a frenzied purchase of the "in" car of a few years back. Hemi's are losing again, Camaros and Chevelles seem to be gaining again, what happened to the true classics of yesteryear, The Bugattis, Deusenbergs, the hand built cars? Cars that will never touch the road other than to be pushed into a collection of cars. You can't give a Ferrari away in todays market, comparing prices from a few years back. It's interesting. Coddington seems to be at a high again. Keep us posted, please.

#18 ·
Coddington seems to be at a high again. Keep us posted, please.
The Coddington Red Roadster went for $50K over the block last night. $55K cost to the buyer after commission paid. Doesn't really seem too much for a vehicle that is all steel, seems to be built well and you can drive it on the street. I thought it might bring more because of the pedigree.

The Dan Woods "Milk Truck", went for $77k as a pure collectable you can't drive anywhere. The examples of this go on and on.

I watched many vehicles past through that were pretty good buys compared to dollars invested, raw cost to build and time never accounted for.

#21 ·
Times are different than a few years ago, that is a steal as far as I'm concerned. To have a car like that built from a rough old car would be far more in my neck of the woods.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.