Coddington - 31 Roadster Pickup - Up for Grabs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Coddington - 31 Roadster Pickup - Up for Grabs

While attending Barrett-Jackson 2013 Scottsdale, I came across the Boyd Coddington '1931 Ford Roadster Pickup. I didn't know what it was as it was not yet marked with display copy. The owners rep had just parked it. This build struck me as being very simple and clean.

I'm told it is Boyd's 3rd to the last build. I wonder what it will go for on the block.

The owners sent me this description;
1931 FORD ROADSTER PICKUP SPECIFICATIONS
Originally aired on American Hot Rod: February 22nd, March 1st & 8th 2007
350 Ram Jet Engine
700 R4 Turbo Transmission
Boyd Coddington built Pro Ride Chassis
Brookville steel body highly modified by Boyd
Handmade Marcell 3-piece aluminum hood
Dan Fink stainless steel billet grill
Boyd billet steering wheel
Custom Magnaflo stainless steel exhaust with cut outs
Boyd billet gauge panel
5" Drop axel with 4 bar front suspension
Pro-ride independent rear end by Boyd
4 Wheel disc brakes
One-off Boyd billet wheels 15" front 17" rear
Custom oak bed
Handmade 3 piece hood
Custom handmade leather interior by Gabe Lopez

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Sorry but you are fishing in the wrong pond, people here build their cars they don't spend RIDICULOUS amounts of money for what was built in a shop by guys just like us and then a big name is attached to.

Brian
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Sorry but you are fishing in the wrong pond, people here build their cars they don't spend RIDICULOUS amounts of money for what was built in a shop by guys just like us and then a big name is attached to.

Brian
Hey Brian,
I do my own work too. I'm not fishing for anything. Just reporting what I saw. If guys here have no interest or find no beauty in the build, sorry to waste their time for looking. Good for ideas at least and maybe history and interest to some.

I did post previously to ask what people would like to see. Got no response.
I just got curious what this might bring, now that Mr. Coddington is gone. Too bad he had a TV show with all the bad drama. His legend might have been better had he not, I do not know.

Dave
Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Sorry Dave, but you have three posts and this looks like something someone would post who has interest in selling this car, why all the run down of features? Looks like an ad to me. If I am wrong I am sorry.

Brian
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Again Dave, I am sorry for making the assumption, we sometimes have to call them as we see them but the translation in a post from English to brain isn't always perfect.

Brian
Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Again Dave, I am sorry for making the assumption, we sometimes have to call them as we see them but the translation in a post from English to brain isn't always perfect.

Brian
No problem, I understand. I know I have no cred here yet, looks like a mistake by me now, I do have other stuff someone will like to see.

And just so everyone is clear, I have no affiliation with the owner.

Dave
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDR4UNM View Post
No problem, I understand. I know I have no cred here yet, looks like a mistake by me now, I do have other stuff someone will like to see.

And just so everyone is clear, I have no affiliation with the owner.

Dave
I can see where Brian would make his assumptions - the photos you posted say that they are under a copyright rather then just some snaps. This would have raised some suspicions with me as well. Now, with that said, I hope you haven't taken any (well not too much) offense and hang around. And as far as '30-'31 Ford roadsters - got one, but don't have 6 significant dollar figures on the left side of the decimal spent on its build - five, for sure though Plus mine is driven!!

Dave W
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

H'mm I have less than 5,000 in my build but then if I had to pay the labor it would be considerably higher..If I were to sell it I might make 50 cents an hour on it but I am having fun anyway and isn't that why we do this..??? And then again I am not about to buy something that I can make for myself and I did make pretty good doing things for those who either did not know how or did not want to if you get my drift. It is nice to look at some of the builds and maybe steal an idea but no I am not paying that kind of price..

Sam
Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I like following the auctions. I get a perverse sense of glee when I see a rich dude lose his butt on a high dollar purchase from a frenzied purchase of the "in" car of a few years back. Hemi's are losing again, Camaros and Chevelles seem to be gaining again, what happened to the true classics of yesteryear, The Bugattis, Deusenbergs, the hand built cars? Cars that will never touch the road other than to be pushed into a collection of cars. You can't give a Ferrari away in todays market, comparing prices from a few years back. It's interesting. Coddington seems to be at a high again. Keep us posted, please.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Personnally I found the OP post interesting. It's a Hot Rod, this is Hotrodders. Why sucker punch the guy for posting, even if he is just trying to sell the car
The Following User Says Thank You to lakeroadster For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Personnally I found the OP post interesting. It's a Hot Rod, this is Hotrodders. Why sucker punch the guy for posting, even if he is just trying to sell the car
You make a good point.. But there is rules on the board...
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
I said I was sorry, it looks like any one of the other "ads" that people post slyly promoting something and you look up and they have one post, he had three.

Again, I said I was sorry.

Brian
Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Dont worry about it Brian....If I had seen it earlier, being the new members first post, I would have had the same reaction.....Glad it was cleared up.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I said I was sorry, it looks like any one of the other "ads" that people post slyly promoting something and you look up and they have one post, he had three.

Again, I said I was sorry.

Brian
Brian,
Apologies accepted. Now publicly too.

Guys, please keep in mind the majority of the vehicles at BJ are already considered sold as they have no reserve at this auction, they are committed. If someone bids, it is gone. So I or anyone else is not going to help the cause by posting here in this case. I was there for the opening "Pomp & Circumstance" where they disclosed that only 18 out of all the vehicles present have a reserve and they are very high-end collectables that few of us will even consider, maybe dream of though. There other thing they do is make a very grand tribute to our veterans that is quite emotionally striking. BJ also donates a significant chunk to charity, in the millions.

I have attended this event many times over the years and because of the diversity, there is something for everyone to see regardless of individual taste.

I simply want to share some of the things I've seen. It is what I do, take pictrures, I'm a photographer. These shots are just that, snaps shots, not examples of my best work. The environment at BJ just won't allow good work to come forth easily and I do feel at risk by posting sub par content, yet still share for those that cannot be there. Dust, barricades, people, poor light, and cramped spaces are just some of the obstacles.

So please enjoy. I do find it interesting what others see within the image I've captured through the lens.

Dave
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDR4UNM View Post
Brian,
Apologies accepted. Now publicly too.

Guys, please keep in mind the majority of the vehicles at BJ are already considered sold as they have no reserve at this auction, they are committed. If someone bids, it is gone. So I or anyone else is not going to help the cause by posting here in this case. I was there for the opening "Pomp & Circumstance" where they disclosed that only 18 out of all the vehicles present have a reserve and they are very high-end collectables that few of us will even consider, maybe dream of though. There other thing they do is make a very grand tribute to our veterans that is quite emotionally striking. BJ also donates a significant chunk to charity, in the millions.

I have attended this event many times over the years and because of the diversity, there is something for everyone to see regardless of individual taste.

I simply want to share some of the things I've seen. It is what I do, take pictrures, I'm a photographer. These shots are just that, snaps shots, not examples of my best work. The environment at BJ just won't allow good work to come forth easily and I do feel at risk by posting sub par content, yet still share for those that cannot be there. Dust, barricades, people, poor light, and cramped spaces are just some of the obstacles.

So please enjoy. I do find it interesting what others see within the image I've captured through the lens.

Dave
I'm a little late to the thread... sorry.

Hey Dave, I went to the opening night Gala as well. Not exactly my crowd but I had fun. Been working all week but I plan on making it out to BJA for Saturday and Sunday. I know your pain when it comes to the shots, I've had to edit dust spots and deal with harsh flash from poor lighting under the tent.

I'm by no means a professional photographer, but I am there with my media outlet, which I would post the url to, but don't want to violate the advertising guidelines here on the board. If you see me, don't be afraid to say hi to a fellow hotrodder I'm hard to miss: I'm a young guy about 6', with long hair and a big beard.

- Cameron

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.