Hot Rod Forum banner

code reader

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  mitmaks 
#1 ·
I scanned our car and it gave me a P0401 code. Definition is Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow insufficient detected.
So is it pretty much saying that I need new EGR valve? I heard you can just rebuild them, clean them up. Its $150-$200 part at the store. Maybe I dont need it, any suggestions

#3 ·
mitmaks said:
I scanned our car and it gave me a P0401 code. Definition is Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow insufficient detected.
So is it pretty much saying that I need new EGR valve? I heard you can just rebuild them, clean them up. Its $150-$200 part at the store. Maybe I dont need it, any suggestions
most likely it is NOT the EGR valve, usually a low flow code is due to a clogged passage leading to or from the EGR housing. This is real common on the older 5.0 Fords and a lot of Honda's. The EGR is probably the most replaced part that didn't need replacement. EGR codes are almost never the EGR valve itself.

More information about what type of vehicle would make it a lot easier to help you. If it is a ford remove the valve and clean out the passages, also sometimes on the ones with a corrugated type steel tube, this rots out. If it is a Honda, you can pull the upper plenum and the EGR and clean out the passage.

#5 ·
Seafoam is not going to clean out the exhaust ports of teh EGR housing. Pull the EGR valve and follow the port away from the valve, I bet you find one of them is plugged solid or close to it. A galley brush, or a coat hanger and some carb cleaner will usually do the trick. Try to get it as clean as possible as the sludge that builds in there adds up fast once it starts. The cleaner you get it the better off you will be.

#6 ·
Ok I did some Digging in old notes, there is a VSV that controls the EGR that has caused that issue, the more common fix was removing the throttle body and cleaning out the EGR port. I have several notes on tehis for toyota/Lexus repairs. I would try cleaning the port out first before you buy any parts

Chet

#9 ·
ive ran some wire inside of lines that lead to EGR and out of it, didnt see or feel any build-up. Can I spray some throttle body cleaner in there and see if that will clean up any build-up it might have? So I'll need to take apart EGR valve and clean it up?

#10 ·
T-bucket23 said:
Ok I did some Digging in old notes, there is a VSV that controls the EGR that has caused that issue, the more common fix was removing the throttle body and cleaning out the EGR port. I have several notes on tehis for toyota/Lexus repairs. I would try cleaning the port out first before you buy any parts

Chet
which port is that? Where EGR connects to throttle body? thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.