Hot Rod Forum banner

coffin car build

54K views 166 replies 22 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
ok heres what we got done so far.the frame is 2.5x 2.5 rec tube.134" corner to corner 26" wide the rear is welded in place using the axle pads out of my s10. this will be boxed in for more support. we built the rear trans mount yesterday and doing the front motor mounts today. the front end was built by T buckets 4 you off ebay. 4" drop 37 ford. speedway motors 37 spindels
i am using 19" Harley rims so these had to be respoked for the new hubs. the hubs look like the org dragula the engine is a 350 chevy im using a 62 covair steering box flipped upside down will be working on that next. we are doing this out side as my garage is small and its still up in 70s here

Attachments

See less See more
#31 ·
got the bottom of the casket cut to fit the frame and over the transmission .had to tilt the steering box back so it would have the right height at the driver seat. have to add a few more braces for support. hopefully my front tires get here tomorrow., nice that you can track an item and the last place it shows is battlecreek mich. on the 13th.delivery date is the 19th havent lost anything yet. but dam usps keep your records up to date.

Attachments

#32 ·
I see you already have your rear axle welded on, but I would still rethink that. You are making a very cool car and you are going to want to drive it. I would check with your state laws too, it may need to be sprung to be legal. If driving a car without a rear suspension is anything like riding a motorcycle without one it can be pretty hairy.

Brian

#36 ·
when they first built the monkee mobile it had the rear axle welded to the frame and kept doing wheelies :sweat: and thats a heavy car just think what this will do but as i said this is for local shows so on and off a trailer and driven into a parking space. maybe drive it to a show if close enuff

#37 ·
wayneooo said:
when they first built the monkee mobile it had the rear axle welded to the frame and kept doing wheelies :sweat: and thats a heavy car just think what this will do but as i said this is for local shows so on and off a trailer and driven into a parking space. maybe drive it to a show if close enuff
It will draw a lot of attention when done and it is out and about. Keep the updates coming.

#38 ·
Keep pushing forward wayneooo... :thumbup: Your doing what most people won't even try.... If someone can't tell this will be a show car,, They have no clue... You can tell this isn't a EVERYDAY driver..... :drunk: :D

Looking good so far... :thumbup: My hat's off to you for even thinking of trying to build one.... Your way pass the thinking part,,, YOUR BUILDING IT... :thumbup:

#39 ·
wayneooo said:
It's just something to think about so I tossed it out there. We don't know every particular fact about your life and world and that is why all the different opinions and tips are so valuable on a site like this. I have asked questions and gotten completely different information that I was thinking of and was enlightened by someone tossing something out.

Brian

#40 ·
i know mine wont be like Barris' drag u la as built for the munsters that must have been very hot car to drive with the engine in the same space as the driver. if you go into www.musterkoach .com site and look at the pics of this car during filming of hotrod herman they show some sort of cooling equipment on the front of the car . and barris had one of his guys cut the fan blades to fit that would alter the cooling plus along with the small radiator opening its a wonder it didnt cause a lot of trouble during filming the tv show or the movie cant do everything in one take.....thats why im putting the engine on the outside of the casket. incase of any mishaps like a small gas leak during first start up at the carbs ( things happen) inside the casket and you never get the smell out plus why hide all the chrome parts over heating would be my big concern

#46 ·
will post some tomorrow i would like to get a set of the rader rims 15x8 5 4.375 if anyone out there knows where i might get a pair.oh a freind of mine stoped by to check out the build to see how it was going he says wow when this is done its gonna be different but a very nice looking car, you know what that means dont you? me nope... him. means u gotta small penis :(

#47 ·
well the weather held out great so far getting colder now, so we got most of it done got to plumb the breaks, put a floor board down find a good place for the B&M shifter boy its a tight fit sitting in it, but i guess thats what a dragster is supposed to be like. ill start working on the casket .since mine has a single lid i have to cut it and use a hing along the rear so it flips up it has a light blue lining right now but might change it to red or purple satin.got to cut the cockpit opening and put on the windsheild, still got a ways to go but all this can be done inside my shop. my wifes comes out and says looks good now how r u gonna it out if the back yard???? i guess take down the side fence.. had to fix the gate anywaywill post pics later on today

#48 · (Edited)
my build

couple pics of the radiator i will be using..you guys/gals think i need a shell for this or just put a chevy emblem on the front soeedway says it can be used as is i was thinking of spraying the fins black and tac welding some spider webs together out of a coat hanger or something and putting one on the top & bottom corner i would like to get some kind of mascot like a cross or a flying bat or a gargoyle for the center

Attachments

#49 ·
wayneooo said:
couple pics of the radiator i will be using..you guys/gals think i need a shell for this or just put a chevy emblem on the front soeedway says it can be used as is i was thinking of spraying the fins black and tac welding some spider webs together out of a coat hanger or something and putting one on the top & bottom corner i would like to get some kind of mascot like a cross or a flying bat or a gargoyle for the center
I think it really needs a "tomb stone" rad shell!

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.