Hot Rod Forum banner

coffin car build

54K views 166 replies 22 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
ok heres what we got done so far.the frame is 2.5x 2.5 rec tube.134" corner to corner 26" wide the rear is welded in place using the axle pads out of my s10. this will be boxed in for more support. we built the rear trans mount yesterday and doing the front motor mounts today. the front end was built by T buckets 4 you off ebay. 4" drop 37 ford. speedway motors 37 spindels
i am using 19" Harley rims so these had to be respoked for the new hubs. the hubs look like the org dragula the engine is a 350 chevy im using a 62 covair steering box flipped upside down will be working on that next. we are doing this out side as my garage is small and its still up in 70s here

Attachments

See less See more
#128 ·
i put up the temp shelter so i could paint the casket w/o getting pollen dust in the paint. its a pretty kool set up i have to touch up the frame in spots as stated before next place i get will have a 3 bay garage or horse barn ill post pics this weekend. we have to get the trailer finished now.cut off 4ft off the back end wiring up the tail lights putting down floor.by buddy say 3/4" plywood will be fine as his uncle's trailer has it in his inclosed car carrier and he hauls a falcon my car weights less then 1100lbs 2 4x8 sheets cut in half will be good enuff

#130 · (Edited)
wayneooo said:
i put up the temp shelter so i could paint the casket w/o getting pollen dust in the paint. its a pretty kool set up i have to touch up the frame in spots as stated before next place i get will have a 3 bay garage or horse barn ill post pics this weekend. we have to get the trailer finished now.cut off 4ft off the back end wiring up the tail lights putting down floor.by buddy say 3/4" plywood will be fine as his uncle's trailer has it in his inclosed car carrier and he hauls a falcon my car weights less then 1100lbs 2 4x8 sheets cut in half will be good enuff
I like the way your car is coming along.About the trailer floor.I am sure you will be fine,but it is not just the thickness of the floor it depends how far apart the cross members are.If it is a factory trailer it should be fine,but if it is homemade then whom ever made it may have spaced them farther apart to save money. Just something to consider. :thumbup:

#133 ·
had the car running but it runs kinda ruff and stalls go on line and find out you cant use 3 primary carbs in a row they just wont work it'll run like crap. really gee why didnt i find that out before god i love the internet. so i got a tri power rebuild kit from speedway motors seems to be a pretty str8 forward rebuild. the orginal GTO tri power has the front and rear carbs blocked no air or fuel mixture screws and no power valves this kit swaps out the 2 base plates and has all jets and gaskets needed etc .so this is what ill be doing for a couple of evenings after work as always thanks for following this little project of mine and have a great night

#136 ·
well had a little trouble with the center carb rebuild. the new throttle plates didnt fit so i had to boroow some from a diferent spare carb.. will post a video this weekend got it runing right off, had to make a few adjusts all around fuel air etc . idles nice step on the gas and it spits flames out the headers oh yeah this will be real nice driving to a show :thumbup: :thumbup: or down the street.

#143 ·
casket car

well i tryed the SP1 clear goes on smooth i put on 3 coats ill do 3 more tomorrow looks like glass also didnt want to waste any so i used some on the frame rails and front end axle tri rod and spring since its black looks great now I have to the chrome trim around the driver opening did a test fit looks nice and covers up the edge

Attachments

#144 · (Edited)
wet sanded yesterday just the sides and lid can't really sand all the little detail on the trim. coming out very nice i think i like this clear. also before i started i wanted to test fit. got in the seat closed the lid dam its tight sure glad i dont have to drive this far . started it up, backed out bout 20 ft and drove it back in and my left leg got a charlie horse..... ouch probably the way i was in there

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.