Hot Rod Forum banner

coffin car build

54K views 166 replies 22 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
ok heres what we got done so far.the frame is 2.5x 2.5 rec tube.134" corner to corner 26" wide the rear is welded in place using the axle pads out of my s10. this will be boxed in for more support. we built the rear trans mount yesterday and doing the front motor mounts today. the front end was built by T buckets 4 you off ebay. 4" drop 37 ford. speedway motors 37 spindels
i am using 19" Harley rims so these had to be respoked for the new hubs. the hubs look like the org dragula the engine is a 350 chevy im using a 62 covair steering box flipped upside down will be working on that next. we are doing this out side as my garage is small and its still up in 70s here

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
wayneooo said:
they are being respoked with stainless steel spokes.. Hayden builds dragster wheels i just sent them the bare rims and the hubs the casket i got off ebay for a halloween prop steel not wood, new not used, do they sell used caskets :sweat: ?
I always wanted to build one like this.. Just never came across a casket.... Now I know where to look.. :thumbup: As far as a used one.. :pain:

I DON'T THINK SO !!!! :nono: :nono: I can see it now,, Your running down the road with your foot on the floor board and You hear someone yelling SLOW DOWN !!!! and see no one... :eek: :eek: :eek:

THAT'S WHEN IT'S TIME TO JUMP OUT !!!! :eek: :eek:

Keep posting I think this will be cool to watch here... :thumbup:
If you find your tools are missing... Don't give up... :thumbup:

#11 ·
i wanted to do it that way but would need 2 side panels almost 3 ' long made up to lenghten the body for the motor to fit inside. then it would like sitting in engine compartment. HOT :sweat: . as stated mine will be on the outside ill be using the front of the box like a firewall inside will be the battery tray wire harness, etc etc. still not sure about head and tail lights have all winter to think about that..... it is like a tbucket why put a lot of chrome parts on the engine if no one can see them.

#12 ·
Shadetree mechanic

Anyone who builds their car outdoors is okay by me. Too many guys claim their car is "home built," then show photos of it taken in a 5000 sq ft shop, complete with hydraulic press, metal shears and brakes, hydraulic hoists, and more $ in professional equipment than my whole house cost. Yeah, right, you LIVE there...

Try building a car in a single car garage, crawling underneath on your back on a cold concrete (or gravel) floor, and you'll have a whole new appreciation for "home built."

#13 · (Edited)
miraclepieco said:
Anyone who builds their car outdoors is okay by me. Too many guys claim their car is "home built," then show photos of it taken in a 5000 sq ft shop, complete with hydraulic press, metal shears and brakes, hydraulic hoists, and more $ in professional equipment than my whole house cost. Yeah, right, you LIVE there...

Try building a car in a single car garage, crawling underneath on your back on a cold concrete (or gravel) floor, and you'll have a whole new appreciation for "home built."

Been there done that.. :nono: But I said a long time ago to my wife when I would come in full of mud and wet,, That it's time to move up or stop building....

You can still have a shop and build a home built car.... You just have to make up your mind to buy the things to make it easier on you..

No matter what tool's you have.. You still have to know how to use them... The wrong guy in a shop full of tool's won't make a car.. :nono:

#14 ·
yeah my next home will have a bigger garage thats for sure. i kustom paint bikes in my shop plenty big enuff for that . my wife told me to get rid of my S10 but she didnt say how :thumbup: Interior what kind of radiator did you put in your pie wagon C Cab hotrod u where building?.

#15 ·
wayneooo said:
yeah my next home will have a bigger garage thats for sure. i kustom paint bikes in my shop plenty big enuff for that . my wife told me to get rid of my S10 but she didnt say how :thumbup: Interior what kind of radiator did you put in your pie wagon C Cab hotrod u where building?.

I bet when your done building this thing... People will be dieing to ride in it..... LOL Man !!! :eek: that didn't sound right !!!! :drunk:
No man !!! :D I had to be the first to say that... Just joking with you.. It will be very cool... :thumbup:

I didn't buy one yet.. But it will be one out of speedway...

#16 ·
ebay has model t radiators but not the outside shell not sure what kind to put on here yet probably do that in the spring anyway. cut the bottom out of the casket today now have to cut for the reat axle and the tranny hole cant afford a moon gas tank 500.00 :mad: so im using a 3 gallon air tank and converting it over spray it black add a few cobwebs there better then moon :thumbup: told my boss to look for this in wildwood next sept. didnt tell her what i was building but your husband will love it "what is it?" oh cant say right now but u have your chevys, fords, mopars, then there will be mine the one that people will be talking about.

#19 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:

Look's like you may need a ride... I will send for the truck to pick you up... :thumbup:
I'm not sure why this didn't get deleted too... But it was to a spammer,, not to wayneooo.. ;) Just in case someone was wondering what I was talking about.. :)

#21 ·
miraclepieco said:

I agree,been there done that.Not everybody can afford the best of everything. :thumbup:

#23 ·
well knocked of the spot welds for the rear and set the axle under the frame instead of on top. made beefer mount pads out of a piece of extra 2.5x2.5 tubing.. Got my wire wheels yesterday (Will post pics later on today.) got the pieces cut for the steering box mount . will put this on today along with the break pedal and make a floor board for the driver postion.....my next place will have a garage or a horse barn losing a lot of time here just doing this on weekends coming along but would be nice to work in the evening a bit here and there got a dragster type gas pedal off ebay. will have to get a speedboat cable or something like that bout 7' long to reach the carb hookup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.