Hot Rod Forum banner

coffin car build

54K views 166 replies 22 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
ok heres what we got done so far.the frame is 2.5x 2.5 rec tube.134" corner to corner 26" wide the rear is welded in place using the axle pads out of my s10. this will be boxed in for more support. we built the rear trans mount yesterday and doing the front motor mounts today. the front end was built by T buckets 4 you off ebay. 4" drop 37 ford. speedway motors 37 spindels
i am using 19" Harley rims so these had to be respoked for the new hubs. the hubs look like the org dragula the engine is a 350 chevy im using a 62 covair steering box flipped upside down will be working on that next. we are doing this out side as my garage is small and its still up in 70s here

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
Man !!!! Your well on your way now... :thumbup: My hat is off to you for going for it... I hope one day we can park next to each other at a show.... That would be cool.... Just remember to keep everything safe.. :thumbup:

Safety is aways first in my book... Good luck and it will be a cool build when done...If other's can build it... Why can't you... That's the way I see things..

Don't look back now !!!!
Your doing something that most people only dream of doing... :mwink:
Your doing it !!!! :thumbup:

#53 ·
coming along pretty good concidering we are doing this out side in the cold on sheets of plywood hell i guess just like working on a boat up on blocks , my brother owns a 46' post fishing boat during the winter months they take it out of the slip if anything needs to be fixed well u have to do it . i have to do something about the way the steering is hooked up it works but doesnt look good maybe box it in more .. didnt get to much done this weekend because of the holiday but hey thats ok pretty much done. bled the breaks and the dam wheel cylinders must be froze they spit out black fluid then clear but they never pushed the break open. so thats an easy fix.well have a 3 day weekend this coming so ill tackle all the little stuff then.

#54 ·
wayneooo said:
i have to do something about the way the steering is hooked up it works but doesnt look good maybe box it in more ..
The first thing you should work on is your welds. You really need more penatration. There are some good welding threads here on Hotrodders. You need to slow down your passes and go back and forth across the seam to pool the weld on each side. But honestly, read the threads on welding and you will be very happy you did in just a short while. I know you have a lot of passion to BUILD this car and you are doing an outstanding job but slow down just a little and improve your welds.

Brian

#57 ·
yeah i had that kit when i was a kid i do have that setting on my shelf as the reissue along with the koach. i do have the orginal fireball 500 plymouth i traded a 66 HO batmobile slotcar for about 20 yrs ago then they started to bring all these reissues out. interiors you should bring your piewagon out this way this summer a buddy of mine out in WA has a 29 Packard winns all kinds of shows with that.

#58 ·
wayneooo said:
yeah i had that kit when i was a kid i do have that setting on my shelf as the reissue along with the koach. i do have the orginal fireball 500 plymouth i traded a 66 HO batmobile slotcar for about 20 yrs ago then they started to bring all these reissues out. interiors you should bring your piewagon out this way this summer a buddy of mine out in WA has a 29 Packard winns all kinds of shows with that.

I plan on making my rounds with it as soon as it's done... I'm hoping to start showing it next year at this time... First stop will be at the world of wheel's in New Orleans..I took first place there in 95 in the street machine class..This c-cab will be a lot of fun.... I took it out to go get it weighed and people was running off the road and passing on the shoulder to see what it was.. :D It was fun just taking it out on the car trailer.... People didn't know what the h*** it was... :thumbup: So the first show should be a fun time ... It should let me know if I should make my rounds or not... ;)

#62 ·
well i got drag link hooked up today have a few things left to do then i can primer all this and spray it black? not sure yet then work on getting the motor back together and wire this puppy up next the the body. i got 5 yrds of crushed purple velvet for the new casket lining but that will be the last thing the casket does have a few digs in it from when we hauled it out of the ground mmmmm garage. i got new well 4 older 50's style casket handles off ebay instead of the single long one thats on there now.got a bass boat winsheild that will fit the driver opening but it has to be cut in half that primer and paint..now thinking of ford yellow jacket whick is a gold metallic
uses on the ford focus my wifes' car i did a bike tank and fenders and it just about the same as HOK ......

Attachments

#64 ·
wayneooo said:
well i got drag link hooked up today have a few things left to do then i can primer all this and spray it black? not sure yet then work on getting the motor back together and wire this puppy up next the the body. i got 5 yrds of crushed purple velvet for the new casket lining but that will be the last thing the casket does have a few digs in it from when we hauled it out of the ground mmmmm garage. i got new well 4 older 50's style casket handles off ebay instead of the single long one thats on there now.got a bass boat winsheild that will fit the driver opening but it has to be cut in half that primer and paint..now thinking of ford yellow jacket whick is a gold metallic
uses on the ford focus my wifes' car i did a bike tank and fenders and it just about the same as HOK ......
Really cool paint on the tank. I think it would go great on your Build.Keep it up. :thumbup: I mean the work on the car of course.LOL.

#65 ·
boxed in the ends of the frame rails today after that we put the box on the frame just to see how it all looked so far. my buddy wanted to try it out for size coming along all the time,sent the block out to the machine shop today so that'll be ready in a month or so. gonna start rebuilding the carbs, i would like them chrome plated but how?so many small holes the manifold can be sent to delaware to a chromer.not sure whats going on tomorrow yet wil find something to do on it get ready to prime and paint all the frame work.

Attachments

#72 ·
wayneooo said:
sorry made a mispell (
it's)
also i need to lose about 25 maybe 30 lbs but i guess dragsters are tight went to philly for a car show they had a few dragsters there also a pumkin car hotrod i would have made it a little different had the body made as a coach so it would hold like 6 then have a munsterkoach type rear seat and a drivers postion on front

Attachments

#73 ·
Back a few years ago at a very cool show near me called the "Dream Machines" in Half Moon bay Ca I was able to get into a speed record car (I don't know what else to call it) and oh yeah baby that was tight, and I am only 160 lbs!

Brian

Attachments

#76 ·
wayneooo said:
now that my friend would be a ride to remember dam looks like little handel bar steering almost layig on your back
I'll tell you this Dream Machines show is one of the best ever. People encouraging you to get into their cars, it's very cool.

Photos below show my son in the same car, also with the windshield on. And the other one is a car where you lay prone.

There will be everything there from a Jet dragster firing up, a vintage Hemi powered air raid siren (that they fired up!) F18 fighter, P-51 restored Gray Hound buses, steam powered tractors, we Ferraris, low riders, we are talking EVERYTHING that moves human beings. http://www.miramarevents.com/dreammachines/

Sorry for the semi highjack of your thread.

Brian

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.