Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Coil over concerns
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I'm running 5/8" dia, grade 8 bolts on my 41 Chrysler. Are you guys saying that the 4 bolts rated at something like 37,000 shear LBS each won't hold up a 4000# car?

Am I in trouble with my build? I can see the bushings needing replacement maybe, but I don't fore see a problem with bolt failure.
I would be more worried about where his shock mounted at the top hat then shearing a bolt... And I think the bolts he is talking about come in from the bottom... That would mean the weight of the car would be trying to pull the bolts straite out the threads.. Which is very hard to do.. Shearing a bolt and pulling one apart is two different things.. Bolt are more stronger then most people think..What I was trying to say was more like the metal above the shock then the way it bolts at the bottom of the arm..

These shocks are to replace the springs on a mustang II front end.. And the weight is on them bottom bolts..I don't think the weight of the cars would be the same.. Here the shock I'm talking about..

I think chev4u bolts are a little different then this one is.. I believe his are up and down not sideways..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2559000_L_15b0817e.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	69977