Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Coil over concerns (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/coil-over-concerns-227451.html)

chev4u 12-22-2012 07:57 AM

Coil over concerns

Thinking about coilovers for my 69 chevelle concerned about if the two small bolts on the bottom shock mount cross bar are strong enough to support car weight any thoughts:confused:

NEW INTERIORS 12-22-2012 09:12 AM

If they sell it for your car,,Then I think they already know's it will work.. If they don't make a kit for your car.. Then no I wouldn't take that chance..

lakeroadster 12-22-2012 09:18 AM

Nope, the shock mounts were not designed to support the weight of the car. Huge difference between loading based on shock dampening vs. car weight.

chev4u 12-22-2012 09:32 AM

thanks guys:welcome:

123pugsy 12-22-2012 12:34 PM

I'm running 5/8" dia, grade 8 bolts on my 41 Chrysler. Are you guys saying that the 4 bolts rated at something like 37,000 shear LBS each won't hold up a 4000# car?

Am I in trouble with my build? I can see the bushings needing replacement maybe, but I don't fore see a problem with bolt failure.

NEW INTERIORS 12-22-2012 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 123pugsy (Post 1625908)
I'm running 5/8" dia, grade 8 bolts on my 41 Chrysler. Are you guys saying that the 4 bolts rated at something like 37,000 shear LBS each won't hold up a 4000# car?

Am I in trouble with my build? I can see the bushings needing replacement maybe, but I don't fore see a problem with bolt failure.

I would be more worried about where his shock mounted at the top hat then shearing a bolt... And I think the bolts he is talking about come in from the bottom... That would mean the weight of the car would be trying to pull the bolts straite out the threads.. Which is very hard to do.. Shearing a bolt and pulling one apart is two different things.. Bolt are more stronger then most people think..What I was trying to say was more like the metal above the shock then the way it bolts at the bottom of the arm..

These shocks are to replace the springs on a mustang II front end.. And the weight is on them bottom bolts..I don't think the weight of the cars would be the same.. Here the shock I'm talking about..

I think chev4u bolts are a little different then this one is.. I believe his are up and down not sideways..

123pugsy 12-22-2012 01:25 PM

Perhaps a call to the manufacturer to check , (is it tensile strength in that direction?) the specs.

Quarter Flash 12-22-2012 06:02 PM

Shock mounts

Re-fab the bottom shock mount on your lower a arm and place the shock on the top of the plate instead of the bottom. I did this on my drag race Monza and it has worked good. I cut the lower shock plate out and welded a new plate in 1/4" lower and mounted the coil over shock on the top of the plate. Use 3/16 steel for the new plate.

QF

tony@roadstershop 12-27-2012 03:08 PM

As a general rule... most front coil over conversion kits that still utilize a "T" bar are engineered for the bar to sit on the top side of the lower control, not bolt from the underside up. That also being said, if there is a quality aftermarket arm designed to take a longer coil over in a double sheer mount... get it... you are doing yourself a huge favor ...

123pugsy 12-27-2012 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You mean something like this?