Coil over questions - Rough ride - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Coil over questions - Rough ride

Hello all. I have a 1936 ford 3 window and Im struggling with the ride. The car is set of with a triangular 4 bar and coil overs. I have weighed the car and the rear end weighs 1700lbs. The rear end rides real stiff. I am running 18" wheels in the rear with a semi low profile tire. I realize that a taller tire would help, but thats not the root of the problem. I currently have all american coil overs with 250-400lb progressive springs. I have tried 200lb, 250lb, 350lb and even 400lb springs with not much change. Ive been told to try Bilstein coil overs that are adjustable in both the compression and rebound. The shocks I currently have are not adjustable at all. Im looking for some opinions before I spend another thousand dollars on a set of shocks that dont make any difference. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Lenny
Hello all. I have a 1936 ford 3 window and Im struggling with the ride. The car is set of with a triangular 4 bar and coil overs. I have weighed the car and the rear end weighs 1700lbs. The rear end rides real stiff. I am running 18" wheels in the rear with a semi low profile tire. I realize that a taller tire would help, but thats not the root of the problem. I currently have all american coil overs with 250-400lb progressive springs. I have tried 200lb, 250lb, 350lb and even 400lb springs with not much change. Ive been told to try Bilstein coil overs that are adjustable in both the compression and rebound. The shocks I currently have are not adjustable at all. Im looking for some opinions before I spend another thousand dollars on a set of shocks that dont make any difference. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The tires can cause some of the rough ride... Did you check to see where the shock rod is at??? Did the car come down any when you set it on the ground??? Is the shock fully extended at ride or riding low or is it centered.... I'm talking about the stroke... Hope you under stand what I'm getting at..

Did you try anything under 200lbs springs ???
Old 11-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

Here's a great article on coilovers!
http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/...tes/index.html
Old 11-25-2011, 07:55 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

spring rates soud high for the rear

Even a old Ford mustang rear with leaf springs were only about 130 lbs per inch rates. I had my 1948 ford with a 390 and a 9inch axle was only 125 lbs coil overs and rode like a champ. I think you are way to heavy on the rear. I have always ran as light as spring rates as possible even when dirt track racing front and rear. If you cant replace trying angling them in by 20 degrees or more that will lessen the rates some what
Old 11-25-2011, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

Yeah newinteriors is on the right path, check and
See if your shocks are bottoming out. They control
Wheel movement

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.