Coil Over for T-Bucket - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005, 07:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Coil Over for T-Bucket

I recently got a T project on the road that I purchased as a partially completed project. The chassis was built in 1989 and was never on the road.

The ride is VERY stiff. The rear coil overs have 160# springs. When I try to push down on the rear of the car I get no perceptible movement. I figure either the shocks are somehow locked up, do to age and non-use, or the spring rate is too high. According to Speedway's chart 140# may be better. Also the rebound adjustor on one side keeps turning. I hear a click so it isn't just a loose knob. The other side turns about 12 clicks and stops.

Any experience with either QA1 or Carrera coil overs?

Thanks,

Bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 08:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

As T buckets are normally under 2,500 pounds, the suspension doesn't work properly because there isn't enough weight to bounce the suspension and due to ground clearence issues, it isn't a good idea for super soft suspensions. This is true to all traditional style repro parts buckets from '23-'25 and in some cases '19 cause CCR makes a '19 Bucket body.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You may need to drop down to a set of 90# springs on that car..does not take all that much to hold one of those up..As long as it does not bottom out. (sufficient spring travel) should be fine..i set my bump stops so the car does not scrape at full bottomed out springs..

Hope this helps a bit..Just maybe you can find someone in the neighborhood that stocks springs and will swap with you so you do not wind up with a whole box of springs..

the shock adjuster should be working..hope you do not have a bad one..

OMT
Old 09-23-2005, 06:38 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longt
Also the rebound adjustor on one side keeps turning. I hear a click so it isn't just a loose knob. The other side turns about 12 clicks and stops.
Bill,

Yes, those adjustment knobs CAN be turned to far. When I put QA1's on my pickup the instructions said NEVER turn the adjustment knob beyond the 12th click or it could severely damage the shock. The obvious question to me is, why in the heck would the mfr. allow the knob to be turned beyond the 12th click if it could damage the product. Whatever their thinking is, I'd turn both sides back to 1 (which IS a solid stop) and then adjust from there to get the best rebound you can...always keeping count of where you are at to prevent going beyond that final click. Hopefully in the short time you've had it on the road you haven't done any permanent damage.

Dewey
Old 09-23-2005, 06:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by longt
I recently got a T project on the road that I purchased as a partially completed project. The chassis was built in 1989 and was never on the road.

The ride is VERY stiff. The rear coil overs have 160# springs. When I try to push down on the rear of the car I get no perceptible movement. I figure either the shocks are somehow locked up, do to age and non-use, or the spring rate is too high. According to Speedway's chart 140# may be better. Also the rebound adjustor on one side keeps turning. I hear a click so it isn't just a loose knob. The other side turns about 12 clicks and stops.

Any experience with either QA1 or Carrera coil overs?

Thanks,

Bill
I have a t-bucket and have ridden in several. They ride hard due to lack of weight. There is virtually no weight in the back except you and the gas tank. I would be interested to see if softer springs make a difference but again I have never ridden in one that doesnt ride like a buck board
If you change them please let me know if it makes a difference.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

See my post toward the bottom of the second page of "I have a crazy idea" in the General Rodding Tech section. You can have as soft a ride as you like. Just be certain that there's enough difference between "free" and "solid" lengths (on the spring) that it doesn't bottom out and you still have room for jounce travel.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.