Coil overs - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
Dave,

If those 160's are the same size, you might consider swapping them to the rear. That rate would be about right for your car...

Russ

I was going to say the same thing, glad to see you are setting them aside just for that reason.

-J

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Got my new AFCO's and installed them on the shocks. I do have to admit they are pretty vs the TCI black - I just am not overjoyed where they were made:

I don't have them on the car and ride height/camber reset yet - time to do a cleanup after last summer and as long as this assembly is off, it's much easier to do and save some skin on a few knuckles . I'll do a follow up photo after installation

Dave W
Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

man that looks nice
Old 01-23-2011, 03:56 PM

I got the front end together today and I do have to admit that the new springs do make the front suspension look much better. Now, if I have the right springs, they should make a big difference in the way the car handles. Their effective rate is 300 pounds with the 13* installation, which is 2X what the others were, but the adjusters were wound up so tight I possibly had bind or close to it. I haven't put the tires back on yet as there are a few more things I need to do - cleaning, new brake switch, figure out the long standing tranny leak.

Dave W
Old 01-30-2011, 06:33 PM

An update -

I pulled the rears off today. The spring rate would work on a large family sedan - 300/540 in lb progressive rate . They are 11" which only TCI supplies so I have a pair of Genesis 1" spacers and a pair of Carrera 10"/175# springs on order. I went with them instead of the AFCO's as they are actually 2-1/2"id while the AFCO's are 2 5/8"id. The 2-5/8 wouldn't make any difference as that's only .062 a side and installed perfectly on the front, but I didn't want any slop on the spacers. Been a real interesting project. If anyone is interested in the take offs,PM me and we can discuss (yeah, I know,I'm probably in violation or close again)

Dave W
Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
An update -

I pulled the rears off today. The spring rate would work on a large family sedan - 300/540 in lb progressive rate . They are 11" which only TCI supplies so I have a pair of Genesis 1" spacers and a pair of Carrera 10"/175# springs on order. I went with them instead of the AFCO's as they are actually 2-1/2"id while the AFCO's are 2 5/8"id. The 2-5/8 wouldn't make any difference as that's only .062 a side and installed perfectly on the front, but I didn't want any slop on the spacers. Been a real interesting project. If anyone is interested in the take offs,PM me and we can discuss (yeah, I know,I'm probably in violation or close again)

Dave W

You won't need the 1" spacer with the new springs. All the TCI coils are 10" now that they arent using the progressives anymore(same shock).

-J
Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow4dr
You won't need the 1" spacer with the new springs. All the TCI coils are 10" now that they arent using the progressives anymore(same shock).

-J

U-h-h-h-h, not really. I still have a shock that is set up for an 11" spring free length, plus the removed spring that is 11-1/8 inch tall which means that I would have to wind the adjuster up that inch plus add the half to an inch for some minimum amount of preload. Photos eventually - springs will be here Thursday/Friday and the spacers next week.

Dave W
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM

Springs and spacers arrived today. The spacers are very nicely made. The springs, crap - and on their way back to Speedway for another pair that are fully chromed - not half a job where the inner side is as rough as a corn cob and has places where they are bare of plating and begging for rust. For sure another few days with 2-3 feet of snow on the ground sure wont hurt my driving the car

Dave W
Old 02-02-2011, 11:59 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Well regarding the snow.... I've had all the winter needed. Y'all got more snow but I was just out with the dog and it is -10 again blowing 15-20 mph.

I have a car show at the end of FEB. The plow guy at the shop next door plowed out the front of my trailer but I bet there is at least 1000 pounds of snow and ice on it. I tried to keep up with it but the last big snowfall just got away from me then it rained and froze.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
Well regarding the snow.... I've had all the winter needed. Y'all got more snow but I was just out with the dog and it is -10 again blowing 15-20 mph.

I have a car show at the end of FEB. The plow guy at the shop next door plowed out the front of my trailer but I bet there is at least 1000 pounds of snow and ice on it. I tried to keep up with it but the last big snowfall just got away from me then it rained and froze.
I'll take the snow, thank you. Your part of the world has to be one of the icebox capitals. So far we have had 2 days below zero, which is 2 of the 6 average we normally have.

If it ever gets to the +20s, a propane bottle mounted Mr Heater should at least loosen that snow and ice covered trailer. My car trailer - it went down the road, but occasionally I wish for it back.

Dave W
Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I've got a heater for it but when it is -10 or more it simply can't do it as the trailer is not insulated. I think is is supposed to warm up next week so I'll get after it then.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.