coil overs or leafs on a 48 f1 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

coil overs or leafs on a 48 f1

I am finishing up a jag ifs swap on my f1. Next is the rear suspension. I am wondering about the pro's and con's of coil overs vs. leafs. I have a camaro rear end for it. What do you guys think. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

Most of the coilover shocks on the rear I see are on a 4 link suspension. I have seen them on leaf springs as well and had them on my 56 F100 for a while. I'm not familiar with the F1 rear shock suspension, but on the 56, I had to removed the shock mounts on the crossmembers because they are the pin type shock and all Coilovers come with the eyelet on the top and bottom. I had to drill a hole through the crossmember where the upper shocks will mount and then simply use a bolt and nut to mount the shock to the crossmember. Coilovers come in a number of various lengths and lbs of spring pressure. It is usually determined by the weight of the truck or if you planning on hauling things. The higher the spring pressure, the more rigid the ride. I've heard a 250 lb spring works well on F1's but don't quote me on that. They sure look pretty from underneath. I went back to standard Monroe shocks because the ride over bumps and overall was just too stiff for me. You want to make sure you get the right size and lbs springs because they ain't cheap.

Last edited by kleen56; 04-13-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

If you want to spend more money, go with coil-overs. You will have to add locating linkage also, like a parallel 4 bar, triangulated 4-bar, 3 link etc. More fabrication and cost. And they work great when set up properly.

Leaf springs can be made to work very well also. Simple mounts on the front and shackles in the rear and you are basically done. Weld pads onto the rear axle and bolt it in. Typically you will need a crossmember for the upper shock mounts, but you would need that with the coil-overs too.

It really depends on your budget and how you want it to look and perform.

Andy

So your not going with the Jag rear end huh?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 AM

Kleen56, Thanks for the reply. The coil over setup would be with the whole 4 bar setup. I can get one reasonable. The leaf spring setup can be reasonable in price too. Just wondered about ride and handling of coil overs. Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 AM

Hey aosborn, thanks for your reply too. I am aware of the fab work for the coil over setup. And I aint skeert! But like I told kleen56, I can get a coil over setup reasonably priced. They do look cool when done right. And man I came soooo close to putting the jag rear end in this thing. I just thought about replacing those inboard brakes and I bagged it. But it would still be an option. Thanks for your insight as well.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

I'm working on going with the 4 link system myself on the truck. I removed a few leafs on my rear suspension to drop the rear down a bit. With the present setup, my ride is nice, not too soft, not too rigid. My buddy has the four link setup with the coilover and the ride is better than mine, plus he gets the advantage of a slightly lower stance. What 4 link kit are you going with? Be careful, some might appear cheap, and they are. Classic performance parts has a great setup for our trucks. Are you going to do the install yourself? You have to know what your doing as well, because we did my buddies truck (another one) and he now gets a bad vibration going 60 mph. Not sure why?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Kleen56 thanks again. Yes I am gonna do the work myself. If you find out the why for on the vibration, let me know. The setup I can get is a TCI. Guy is goin thru a divorce and is looking for cash. Let me know what you think of their product. Do you have the f100 or f1 or both!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

TCI is a nice setup. I will most likely go with the CPP kit. I have a 56 F100 truck. You can click on my gallery on the right hand corner of the post to see pics of my truck. Good luck.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.