Coil problems 1967 Firebird - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Coil problems 1967 Firebird

Ok...I am going to try and explain this the best that I can because electrical is not my strong points by any means. I am running a MSD box with a coil. I have talked to some people about this and to what I have been told that I have it wired up right. From the MSD box I have the following hooked up: One main power wire to a constant source, one main ground wire to the frame, one green and one purple going to the distributor, one thinner red and black going to the positive and negative sides of the coil. This setup worked for a while until I hooked up a starter wrong. Unknowingly I went from a 3 post starter to a 2 post starter and inadvertently hook one of the wires wrong frying the wire and melting up a couple of other wires. I bandaided it and got it running. Well when decided to go though my engine harness to see the damage that I have done that's when I ran in to some problems. I replaced some wires that the brass was showing though and thought I hooked everything up right until I tried to start it and my starter cranks, headlights, turn signals, fuel pump, everything works except I have no spark when I take a spark plug out and put it to the header. So I get out my test light and start to check fuses, all of them to be good. However the fuse labeled "COIL" does not light up...from my engine harness I have 3 wires left over that are not hooked up. One of them is kind of covered in a still braided coating that initially did all the damage when I hooked it up wrong from the starter(the one that I am told I no longer needed because I went to a 2 post starter) Another is a black wire with a yellow stripe and the last one is a green wire. I am thinking that when I was replacing wires that maybe when I pulled the engine harness out of the firewall that one or more of these wires were badly damaged and broke apart without me knowing seeing how all I did was one by one replaced burnt wires and hooked them back up before I started on a new wire. Its a ten pin engine wiring harness. Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry for such a long thread but I didn't know how to keep it short.
Cheers,
Brandon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 PM
More for Less Racer

The two wires from the MSD box to the coil are supposed to be orange and black, and those should be the only wires hooked to the coil at all, no other wires.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:54 AM

My mistake the two wires going to the coil are orange and black but still no spark...
Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 PM
More for Less Racer

There is a small red w/tracer wire from the MSD box to a 12v+ triggered source, such as ignition switch or a toggle switch. Is it connected and verified to have 12v+ when switched on?? This is the wire that turns the box on and off.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:58 AM

I will have to follow that wire to see where it goes after I get off work...I will keep you updated, hopefully that is it...thanks for your reply.
Brandon
Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 PM

Your a life saver...that thin red wire went to my kill switch and the wire coming from my kill switch to battery power was disconnected. I don't know why I didn't check that first. Thanks again for your help.
Brandon

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.