My 93 Dodge 5.2L would not fire so I took the coil wire from the distributor and put a spark plug in it to check for spark. Placed the plug on top of the air cleaner and cranked the engine over. No spark, but as the key went to the run position there was a spark at the test plug. I purchased a new coil and installed it and turned the key to run and again there was a spark, but no spark when the key went to the start position. I figure there has to be a short someplace but I don't know where to look first. Is this a possible computer problem, trouble with the switch, or could it be because the battery isn't fully charged enough to start the motor without a jump. I put the battery on a charger last night. Before I go try starting it I thought I'd see if someone here could drop some knowledge on me about what might be the problem. Anyone care to venture a guess I'm all ears errrr I mean eyes. Thanks
05-14-2012 07:09 PM
You have an open circuit when the switch goes to start...if there's a ballast resistor in the circuit that is likely your problem.
05-15-2012 12:26 AM
Turned out to be a bad onboard computer. Switched it with one from a 94 and she fired right up. Thanks