coil spring rates #'s - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 08:48 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

coil spring rates #'s

http://www.classiccarsprings.com/springrates.html okay, enough is enough. need to decide what frikken coil springs you need and want to get the whole poop, and nothin but the poop on diameter, rates, et cet terr-AAAHHH? here! take a hit on this: http://www.classiccarsprings.com/springrates.html

Advertisement

Last edited by bullheimer; 03-31-2005 at 09:04 PM. Reason: add link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

ok..a bit aobut this

What does your ride weigh on the front axle and on the rear axle??

That is the first thing that is needed to be known...Then go down the chart..Find the ones that support the proposed load..then check to see that the spring ends are like the ones on the spring you have removed..

Check free height which is the height of the spring when it is out of the car..and pick one of a similar free height..and check the installed height so you get a spring of the proper installed height..that is if the ride height is now where you want it to be..

what kind of ends do the current springs have..??

Spring rate refers to the amount of weight it takea to compress a spring 1"

Inside dia of the spring should be clear..what do the old ones measure??

Bar dia is the dia of the wire used to make the spring..thicker wire the spring is stiffer..

Now if all else fails..weigh the front end and call the guys and tell them you have a car that weighs so much and is one of these..and get a recommendation..

OMT
Old 04-01-2005, 11:11 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

yeah, this table tells you all that stuff. it gets worse without it asking people what to run. i would just go by the table and forget it, but you have to know what your car came with, then take others advice into consideration, with a grain of salt. if they have a 79 with the big plastic bumpers instead of a 72's tiny little bumper, if they have fiberglass parts, aluminum heads, a/c, automatic etc etc, it gets to be a real PITA!!!!
my 72 camaro came with (and all those numbers above are MOOG NUMBERS BTW!) spring #5278, i was told by a bunch to get the 5610's. i was told by the classic car spring rep to get the 5600, and by others to get the t/a's WS-6 springs. it all looked good when you check all the parameters you mention, except for the load they are supposed to carry. i figured i wanted to get as close to stock as i could, but be under it to account for the aluminum intake and headers. so i went with the 5642 instead of the others. the pontiac stuff, esp. the later years, is for a much heavier car, although the stockers on my camaro are for 2080lbs. i want to lower my car about an inch. i think that this will put me where i want to be.
i can't tell you how much time i have wasted on this one part. snafu!!!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.