Hot Rod Forum banner

Coil spring rear suspension for 52 chevy coupe

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Don 
#1 ·
Hey guys, :welcome:

Has anybody swapped rear ends with a factory coil over rear? Looking for a replacement that fits...or comes close to fitting.

Maybe I should swap to an open drive rear and then convert to coil overs? What do you all think?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have never swapped the rears. I did at a show one time see a 53 ,I think it was, that some guy had fabricated mounts and had rear leafs installed. No idea what they were off of. I wanted to talk to him but he wasn't around, just his wife that only knew it was blue. But it was really neat, a lot of fabrication. The leafs almost looked like small trailer leafs. He had mirror under it, but still they are a pain to see with those long fender skirts and short sitting 50s chevys.

I remember a discussion where some used a coil over rear end for a 47ish pick up for a 50's coupe with out major modification. Not sure of the exacts, but I remember a discussion I coudn't find it on here. But I remember he went out and got measurements, and listed a bunch of specs. I will check the other "places" I am a member at it may be on there. Someone else may remember that.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project!

#4 ·
The 79 to 81 gm a/g body (Malibu, monte carlo etc) rear ends are very close in width, if you can find a donor car and graft the rear subframe in that should work. these cars have triangulated 4 link and coils, ride very nice. I did one in a 51 dodge pickup and it was 530 hp, I installed a pice of plate in the lower control arms and ran a bolt as a poor mans box, basically making it a solid piece and it got awesome traction too.
If you want to easily convert to open drive line 2nd gen camaro rears fit the exact width and the spring perches as well. I think you only have to drill the center hle 1 inch back and install a center bolt.

#5 ·
ortamenxs said:
I remember a discussion where some used a coil over rear end for a 47ish pick up for a 50's coupe with out major modification. Not sure of the exacts, but I remember a discussion I coudn't find it on here. But I remember he went out and got measurements, and listed a bunch of specs. I will check the other "places" I am a member at it may be on there. Someone else may remember that.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project!
70s ramcharger 4X4 front leafs, or dart leafs are an exat fit for 49-53 chev cars

#6 ·
Rear coils on 52 Coupe

AustinPhoenix said:
Hey guys, :welcome:

Has anybody swapped rear ends with a factory coil over rear? Looking for a replacement that fits...or comes close to fitting.

Maybe I should swap to an open drive rear and then convert to coil overs? What do you all think?

Thanks!
Hi austin i have a full chassis swap on my 52 coupe. 72 chev chassis, that is wider by 2 in" ,but vette rims fit in wheel wells. You will loose the torque tube drive (a good thing) Hope you can weld & fab. GOOD LUCK jim :welcome:

#7 ·
Rear suspension swap

Go find a mid 80's vintage gm car with 4 link coil over rear suspension. get the whole car as a donor for your build. The key measurement here is the distance between the rear brake drums, should be plus or minus 1' to have a good fit. The frame width can be adjusted to application. The gm box frame can be slit to open up the channel to fit existing frame rails of the 52. Minimum overlap at frame splice should be 6". More is better! Set it all up and then weld it inside first on overlaps and then beat the late model lap on the inside into the frame of the original frame and then weld that up. Be sure to grind all welds and check for any imperfections. Reweld again for a better looking finish weld. If done right it is difficult to detect where the frame was altered. Use the late model driveshaft to get rid of tourque tube. Do not adjust or tweak the original frame rails. Be creative with the donor frame to get the proper center and width alignment. If you are really a screw up, then you can always start over with another late model frame.... The original 52 frame might be hard to find.... So don't monkey with that!

Once you have the 4 link fit and installed, cut it off to the rear anywhere past the coil pockets and then add the original frame back to the rear section. This allows the original frame section to be used so that gas tank hangers etc. can be used. Also bumper mounts will be correct and rear body mounts will fall back into correct position.

I have done several set-ups this way and end up with a really nice finished project.... Measure thrice, check it twice, tack weld, remeasure it two more times, scratch your head..... ask your buddy to check it. Then disreguard his rantings... Weld it and be done with it. It will be fine! If a uaw worker can put one together so can you. Do not forget to find a olds , or pontiac rear anti-sway bar assembly. This simple addition really tops off the job and the car then handles great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.