Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   coil spring spacers (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/coil-spring-spacers-181206.html)

APalusky 07-17-2010 03:54 PM

coil spring spacers

Are coil spring spacers ok to use?? I need to raise my front suspension by about 1". Mr. Gasket has them.. Thanks Al

sqzbox 07-17-2010 06:49 PM

I used them in the 70's they were ok, did the job. BUT, there's things you need to be aware of.

1. They change the geometry of the front end if used on the front.
2. If you hit a good bump, one might fall out and need to be replaced.
3. They used to come in two sizes small and large. I used the large one's as it took less of them for the lift and they stay in better than the small one's.
Make sure you have side clearence from the spring so they don't rub on any thing. Don't put them all on one side of the spring, put 4 per spring two on one side and two on the other. That should give you the inch that you need.
Their a lot easier to install with the car jacked up with the tire off the ground.
Be safe, use the jack stand! ;) If you decide to use them, don't do it for tire clearence if the body will hit the tire without them because if you do and one or two pop out, it's going to make one ugly tire sidewall.
4. Don't tell anyone you use them. Hope this answers your question. :D

APalusky 07-17-2010 06:55 PM

Sorry.. Not talking about the kind you have to put in with a ratchet.. This looks like a doughnut. I would have to use the good old spring compresser to lift up the spring. Put that 1" spacer down, and put the spring back down.

APalusky 07-17-2010 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this..

sqzbox 07-17-2010 07:04 PM

OH CRAP! I didn't realize it was you Apalusky! You don't want those on your car. Disregaurd eveything I said. :drunk:

APalusky 07-17-2010 07:16 PM

Nuts.. About the only other thing I can think of is to buy coils that were for the V8 Mustang II. They are stiffer.. But then i would still be 1" higher than I want to be.. Al

Deuce 07-17-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APalusky
Like this..

I have successfully used them on a front end. No issues but I did have to re-align the front end. Also ... some FoMoCo models just used a metal spacer between the spring and the pocket ... to raise a vehicle that came from the factory with A/C.

http://ebay.discountbodyparts.com/ca...usp/46101G.jpg

Camaro/Firebirds also have a spring spacer. :D

sqzbox 07-18-2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqzbox
OH CRAP! I didn't realize it was you Apalusky! You don't want those on your car. Disregaurd eveything I said. :drunk:

I was refering to the twist in aluminum spacers. :D

a1supersport 07-18-2010 06:36 AM

I've used both the twist-in aluminum ones, as well as the rubber ring. Lifts/stiffens at the same time. The "isolated"-coils will force the other coils to work harder and over time the suspension will sag...it'll take time...but it will. Never tried using the coil spacers that sit on the coil-seat. That would seem like a better choice.

APalusky 07-18-2010 06:44 AM

I think I might get those rubber rings. I have to raise that front off the ground. 1" would sure help. Then maybe I could keep the 195 65/15" tires up front.

sqzbox 07-18-2010 06:49 AM

If that's the case, you need to start looking for a good coil spring compressor
tool. Even borowing one from a buddy. :D

APalusky 07-18-2010 07:15 AM

Have 2 sets now. The kind that hook on, and you turn the nuts up to compress the coil. I have done this so many times.. I can almost do it in my sleep. I had to rebuild the frontend before. Was way to high. Did it again for the 2" drop coils. Still to high. Did it again to cut a loop out of the coil. Only other ting I can think of is to change the tire size in the front. Like I said before. I have 195 65/ 15" in the front. What would raise the front up just a little more?? I have 235 70/15 in the rear. If I put them in the front. I could then put 265 70/ 15 in the rear.. Would that help?? Al

sqzbox 07-18-2010 07:51 AM

I've found it's easier to change the tires to accommodate the suspension than change the suspension to accommodate the tires. It's not all about the hight, it's about the ride quality. Too stiff and you feel every pebble on the road, too loose and you get more body roll and lees feel of the road.
Let's face it, if it's too stiff, it can make a short trip a long one!
I live 10 mi from one of the largest rod shows in the country and sit on hwy 41 and watch the rods go bye. A lot of them pull the little trailers custom painted to match the car (room for whatever) and they don't take away from the looks of the car. A lot of them run air conditioning, and the one's that don't are hanging half way out the windows panting like a dog! Their worn out
(the wife will appreciate the air con.). The "frog follies" are every year at the 4-H center and have almost 5,000 car's show up. I've always wanted one and love the 32 ford coupe's but, being a lower middle class working guy with short range views, have never been able to buy one or build one. I've been to several of the car shows and feel like a diabetic in a candy store so I just sit and watch them go by at the local dairy queen! When I was younger, unmarried and no kids all my experience has been with muscle car's. :D

APalusky 07-18-2010 10:34 AM

Makes sence. When I did take it for a spin up the block it was a bit squirely. I'm thinking that the frontend came out of a 4 cylinder car. Weaker coils.
If I changed the tires.. What would you suggest I run on the front?? If I went with the 235's on the front.. Then what would I run in the back?? Al

APalusky 07-18-2010 11:48 AM

Was just looking online at tires. I now have 195 65/15. Side wall height is 5". If I went to a 205 75/15" the side wall height would go to 6.3. That might bring it up enough. Even if I went with 235 70/15'. I still have 2" drop spindles on it. Al