Coilovers, how do you adjust them? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2005, 05:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Coilovers, how do you adjust them?

Hi,

I am working on at Triumph TR6. I have bought a set of Aldan Eagle coilovers for the rear suspension. The are on the car and all is well, however I have a question on how to properly 'load' the coilovers.

What is the rule of thumb on how far to compress the springs? I mean, do you just tighten the nut a a few rounds, or does it have to go halfway or what? I mean, the more you compress the spring, does it have anything to do with ride height?

I am really puzzled as to how far the nut has to be taken. Please, guys any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

As the Moderator of this section......and a South Carolina resident too.....I would like to WELCOME YOU HERE....

As a general rule......the more you compress the spring ( coil ) the higher the car will sit and the higher the spring rate is......or that has been my experience with coil overs......

DEUCE.....

Old 10-29-2005, 06:44 PM

Deuce!

Thank you sir! This is the information I was looking for. I have the coil nut say about 5 or 6 threads in (that many are showing). Suppose I take the nut in, about halfway into the threads. By what you just told me, the car will ride higher, right? Is this going to make it ride higher by several inches, or is it by a much smaller rate?

I know, the answer is for me to go experiment. The kicker is that in order to do this, I have to take the coilover completely out of the rear suspension. It is quite a pain in the back! <g>...

Thanks for the info you gave me...

thanks,
joe
Old 10-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Straight from Aldan:

"DRAG RACING / PRO STREET INSTALLATION: For this purpose, it is recommeded that the shocks be installed straight up and down with a center to center distance between the mounting eyes of 14". This is the ideal installation height for drag racing. You should be able to arrive at this center to center distance with the lower spring seat set at approximately in the middle of the threaded area of the shock. If you can't arrive at this 14" distance by adjusting the spring seat slightly, then the spring rate is too soft or too hard for your application and you will need to exchange the spring for the correct rate. After installing the shocks and arriving at the 14" installed height the car either sits too high or too low it will be necessary to relocate either the upper or lower shock mounts to get the correct ride height for the car. DO NOT MAKE ADJUSTMENTS to the ride height by changing the installed height of the shocks. This will result in poor performance of the shock. For this reason we highly recommend an adjustable lower shock mount."

There is a section on "street rods, road racing or street use" but it only adds stuff about how shock angles affect ride quality.

HTH,

Russ
Old 10-29-2005, 08:09 PM

Russ,

where exactly on the Aldan website did you get this info. All I seem to find there is the pdf for the sales brochure and some other stufff but not the info you quoted me. What is the url you are looking at?

thanks,
joe
Old 10-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Wasn't on the website, got this paper in the box with the coilovers. I can scan them as a TIF or JPG and e-mail them to you. Send me an e-mail and I'll attach them for you, or I could just post them here tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:22 PM

Russ,

where exactly on the Aldan website did you get this info. All I seem to find there is the pdf for the sales brochure and some other stufff but not the info you quoted me. What is the url you are looking at?

thanks,
joe
Old 10-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

For other who may be interested: (EDIT - if they view funny, try "save as" and then view them from your 'puter)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aldan01.gif
Views:	316
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	7551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aldan02.gif
Views:	420
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	7552  
Old 10-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

I'm sure it was just a bit of carelessness on the part of Deuce, but adjusting a coilover does not change the spring rate. As the Aldan information states, you have to go to different springs to change the rate.

If possible, you should borrow some wheel scales from one of your oval track friends and adjust for equal rear wheel loading.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.