Hot Rod Forum banner

Coils Burning UP? Help!

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  muzzfactor 
#1 ·
I'm working on a 84 GMC 4x4 pickup and I've burnt up 3 coils in 10 days. I've noticed that the gauge showing how my alternator is charging is sitting at about 2 oclock instead of 12. Could a bad alternator cause the coil to blow? I'm at a loss here, I don't know crap when it comes to electrical stuff, so any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
Well, I just had the alternator tested and everything came back as fine. I don't have a problem with the battery getting drained. What grounds are you talking about that could be the problem? The motor is grounded and and battery is grounded to the frame. Are there any others I need to check? Where should the ground wire go on the coil itself? Thanks.

#7 ·
Measuring the voltage across the battery terminal while the motor is running should work. Your ground connection are fine. your engine and frame is your ground. If the alt. tested good, then your battery is somehow draining while your truck is off. To make a quick check of the battery keep the truck off and disconnect and reconnect one of battery terminal and if get a small spark. It means the battery is pulling current discharging the battery and that is why amp meter is showing charge when the motor is running. With in time it should read in the middle. It may be the reason why the coil is burning it self out. :sweat:

#8 ·
lg1969 said:
Measuring the voltage across the battery terminal while the motor is running should work. Your ground connection are fine. your engine and frame is your ground. If the alt. tested good, then your battery is somehow draining while your truck is off. To make a quick check of the battery keep the truck off and disconnect and reconnect one of battery terminal and if get a small spark. It means the battery is pulling current discharging the battery and that is why amp meter is showing charge when the motor is running. With in time it should read in the middle. It may be the reason why the coil is burning it self out. :sweat:
the battery is killing the coils? wouldnt a spark at battery terminal with truck off be a short?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.