Is a cold air intake really worth the money? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 10:50 AM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Is a cold air intake really worth the money?

Ever since I bought my Mustang I've wanted to do a few minor things to increase the horsepower but have always been hesitant to buy a cold air intake and a programmer because I was never really sure if they were going to make all that much of a difference. Last night I finally decided to break down and buy a Roush cold air intake and a Hypertech programmer. Hypertech advertises 4-5hp increases through most of the RPM range and 8hp at the factory peak, and it has programs for regular and premium fuels. I trusted their claim because the numbers didn't seem outrageous like some I have seen. For example: A friend of mine wants an Edge programmer for his F-150 because he saw an advertisement that said the programmer by itself would give him 30hp over stock, which is total bunk if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a ballpark increase of about 20hp between the intake and the programmer, which would bring output up to 320 or so. Is this a reasonable assumption or am I spending money for nothing here? The car is a 2007 Mustang GT.

Advertisement

Last edited by Blazin72; 11-05-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Don't forget the mileage increase too.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

20 hp over stock from a V8 seems reasonable to me.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Everybody want's big HP gains like 30-50hp out of one bolt on, whatever. But, small gain's add up too. Larger injectors, re-programing, cold air intake, exaust, underdrive pulley's, and things like that.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:34 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Its a cheap and easy power gain, BUT there are gains that cost the same amount for parts, but are a lot more labor intensive that produce more power...
Old 11-05-2009, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Don't forget the mileage increase too.
Though any increase in mileage is always nice, I'm not too concerned with it. I can't imagine it would be too dramatic anyway.

I thought about pulleys but I am not too keen on underdriving components.

The Hypertech web site did show the programmer also increased power up to about 6200 rpm. It's currently limited to 6000 right now and it seems to be pretty common to raise the rev limiter to about 6250 without any issues.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

add a "." before the 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Ever since I bought my Mustang I've wanted to do a few minor things to increase the horsepower but have always been hesitant to buy a cold air intake and a programmer because I was never really sure if they were going to make all that much of a difference. Last night I finally decided to break down and buy a Roush cold air intake and a Hypertech programmer. Hypertech advertises 4-5hp increases through most of the RPM range and 8hp at the factory peak, and it has programs for regular and premium fuels. I trusted their claim because the numbers didn't seem outrageous like some I have seen. For example: A friend of mine wants an Edge programmer for his F-150 because he saw an advertisement that said the programmer by itself would give him 30hp over stock, which is total bunk if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a ballpark increase of about 20hp between the intake and the programmer, which would bring output up to 320 or so. Is this a reasonable assumption or am I spending money for nothing here? The car is a 2007 Mustang GT.
Generally feeding cold air to the intake increases power by about .7% for every 10 degree F drop in temp from the temperature of the air available from under the hood.

The power programmers take advantage of the fact that the factory has to meet Federal emissions for a period of 100,000 miles without maintenance. So the factories make a management system that is very conservative such that the engine will age out without exceeding pollutant levels till above 100,000 miles. The reprogrammed power packages eat into the factory long term emissions spec for near term power increases. This adds power but at the cost of the vehicle probably not being able to pass emissions beyond 50,000 miles without some major work to correct the effects of aging wear and its affect on emissions.

Bogie

Last edited by oldbogie; 11-06-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
More for Less Racer

Bogie, is that 7% per 10 degree drop a miss-print?? Figure I've always heard is 1% per 10 degree drop.
7% would be fabulous, drop the air temp 50 on a 500 hp engine and I'm going to get 175 extra hp?? I don't think so
Old 11-05-2009, 05:38 PM

cold air

Cooler air is ALWAYS better for performance. If you can get some "ramming-effect" thats even better. Once you get more cooler air IN...you also need to get more exhaust out easier too! Thats were you get a real"seat-of-the-pants" power increase. Headers and larger pipes and free-flow cats and muffs......the list just goes on-and-on!
I have heard it is better to do most all your mods and THEN have a custom chip burnt for the computer. That way the computer can take advantage of all the changes you made.
Sounds good to me.
6sally6
Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Is this a current Mustang?
If so I would spend some time researching. There are likely a magazine or two who have done some before and after dyno testing of bolt ons.
Always beware of the part makers dyno results, after all they are trying to sell parts.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

1ownerT, the car is a 2007 Mustang GT. I understand what you are saying. I am inclined to think the Hypertech numbers are a little more in line with a real world increase than the results my buddy found for his F-150. A magazine article is actually what gave me the idea to go with the Hypertech, they didnt have any hard dyno results but did have favorable things to say about it.

6sally6, the newer generation Mustangs actually have a very good exhaust (including the cats) and replacing the cats or replumbing the exhaust isn't going to do much for a nearly stock engine. New mufflers are in the works once I find something that I think sounds good. The factory exhaust manifolds aren't too shabby either. Ford spent a lot of time on the exhaust of these cars. Mine does have an X-pipe though.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

I can get behind the cold air intake - depending on how it is done. Are there any modifications you can perform on the factory piece?

Not familiar with the Mustang plumbing but on a lot of cars there are baffles and such that can be removed - they're in place to quieten the induction noise.

You may also be able to plumb something of your own.

I've seen some so-called 'cold air induction' setups from the aftermarket that give you a large cone filter right behind the rad. How cold is that?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I'll give you an example of cold air intake alone. I had a 73 lemans with a 455 in it and switched from an open element air cleaner to a closed type with 2 snorkel's. I ran a section of aluminum clothes dryer duct from each snorkel to either side of the radiator through to just behind the grill. It made enough difference that I could feel it the seat of the pant's especially when the sun went down. Engines like cool dense air and just with the cold air intake, there will be a performance increase alone. Adding a performance program will add to that. So my answer to your question is yes! Used with a K&N type filter also add's power with less restriction of air flow.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

save your money. buy a supercharger
Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

Thats a lot of saving. Superchargers for those cars are $5000. One is on the list though.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.