Cold Bog...tuning mystery... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 05:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cold Bog...tuning mystery...

Hi all

I've got a tune up issue that has me stumped. Chevy 350. When I get on the throttle from a stop, the car hesitates or bogs momentarily and then regains power. No backfire through carb that I've heard. It only does this under 2000 rpm.

It doesn't do it at all once the engine is warm. It's also tough to get started when it's cold.

It has a very recently rebuilt edelbrock 1405, (new everything including floats, rods/jets, accelerator pump, springs) running 8% lean on the primaries and secondaries. (I'm at 5300 above sea level). Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump at 6psi.

HEI ignition @14 degrees inital advance and 34 degrees total all in at 2500 rpm. Spark plug gap at .45.

Vacuum guage holds steady at 17 lbs., drops to 2-3lbs. and rises back to 17 with a quick snap of the throttle, goes up to 23 lbs. then settles back to 17 when throttle is closed.

I've got everything set the way I think it should be...any guesses as to why the engine is doing this?

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

Do you have a working choke?
Sounds like no heat to the intake when it's cold. Fuel is puddling in the intake. You're getting a lean bog.
Do you have the exhaust cross over under the intake open?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

bog'n carb

IMHO... i'd be buy'n a edlebrock tune up kit.. got springs and other stuff to fine tune it... also reset ur xcellorator pump lever.
ur pushing the limit on the pressure too...
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill
IMHO... i'd be buy'n a edlebrock tune up kit.. got springs and other stuff to fine tune it... also reset ur xcellorator pump lever.
ur pushing the limit on the pressure too...
That occured to me last night after I posted this. I have the spring assortment and tonight I'm going to try the pink 7" springs instead of the orange 5" springs I re-installed when I rebuilt it. Going to advance my timing to 16 degrees inital also and see if that helps.

The accellerator lever is set to Edelbrock's recommendations, what do you recommend I change it to?

By pressure are you referring to my vacuum level? I think it's on the low side of acceptable due to the camshaft. I'm not sure what the specs are, but it definately has a mild street cam in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS
Do you have a working choke?
Sounds like no heat to the intake when it's cold. Fuel is puddling in the intake. You're getting a lean bog.
Do you have the exhaust cross over under the intake open?
It's a 1405 so it has a manual choke, which is hooked up and working. It doesn't seem to make much difference on startup however. As for the manifold, it has a weiand dual plane, not sure if the exhaust crossover is open or not....

Thanks

Mike
Old 03-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

vacumn

no i was taking about fuel pressure of 6# be'n at the high edge. i like to be under 5#.. for the acc pump.. without going out and looking.. just connect the arm so the pump get the largest stroke for the shortest throttle movement..
Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill
no i was taking about fuel pressure of 6# be'n at the high edge. i like to be under 5#.. for the acc pump.. without going out and looking.. just connect the arm so the pump get the largest stroke for the shortest throttle movement..
Ok I'll give that a shot...thanks...

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.