cold rolled steel sheet metal? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Why be normal?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cold rolled steel sheet metal?

I have some old sheet metal laying around that I have been trying to bend into a pan, 66 inches long about 18 inches wide. I tried to use my mig tank as a form but not much luck. This is about 22 ga. to 24 ga. I'm not sure if this is cold rolled steel. Is cold rolled steel easier to bend? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:

Cold rolled sheet 22-24 ga. should bend easily. Hot rolled should bend pretty easy too, but not as easy as cold rolled. You sure it isn't stainless??
Old 03-09-2004, 05:51 AM
Why be normal?

Last photo:

This sheet metal is from a side panel of an old commercial shelving unit. It is painted gray. the problem I had was it would want to kink a little right in the center when I tried to bend it. I'm just trying to bend a curve in it, but it is 66 in long and the bend is in the long direction. Maybe I need another set of hands. I did find a place in town that sells sheets of 20 ga colled rolled steel. I'm going to buy some. Any other ideas. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:21 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

20ga. is going in the wrong direction if you want to bend it by hand.... Try wrapping a couple of ratchet type tiedown straps around the sheet and your form. Tighten them symetrically and you should be able to pull a bend into it... Just work down the length of the sheet.
You might talk to a sheetmetal shop that builds heat and A/C ducts. They should have the equipment to put a roll into your sheet for you if you can't do it.
Mark
Old 03-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

A little terminology primer; "Cold Rolled" steel is not an exotic product. This is how most sheet, tubing and other common smooth finished goods are produced. It is plain old low carbon steel but the finish is nicer than available in hot rolled. Examples of commonly available hot rolled steel are angle iron, I-beams and other structural shapes where surface finish is of secondary importance to structural strength.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:10 AM
Why be normal?

Last photo:

I know 20 ga is thicker but i'm not sureif my supplier has any 22 ga. I will check. About a month or 2 ago on one of the hot rod shows on Spike they shaved the door handle on a car that was going to have pop ups. I thought he said he used 20 ga and he held a small patch panel on the door and formed it with his hand. It looked fairlly simple. The problem I am having is when I try to bed my sheet around the tank it tends to kink. Not sure if it is me or the type of sheet steel, since I don't know what kind it is except for the gauge since I mic'd it. I think I will ask the guys at the steel place if they know of someone that would bend my piece. I would hate to mess up something I had to pay for. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:51 AM

roll pan kinks

try formig ur pce. over a pipe the length u need it will bend evenly across the whole face. i spot weld across bottom edge to steel pipe & roll across clean work bench. u could try screwing to pvc pipe for cheap form. start wth cardboard template matching shape at corners of fenders u are matching up to to. if bolting on allow for returns on all sides for edge to mount, bend returns after u have rolled to desired shape. go easy little at a time, matching to your template. welding on -just cut to length + 1-2" for final trim & fit on truck, i scribe panels for exact fit for welding.
jw
Old 03-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Why be normal?

Last photo:

Thanks for the ideas. I will definately try.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.