cold weather engine screeching - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2005, 02:44 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cold weather engine screeching

im driving my 88 firebird with 2.8 and 5 spd with 220,000KM(132,000Miles?) for the winter and ever since its been cold it has a loud metal screeching sound coming from the enigne, i use to only get it when the motor was cold and above 2,800 rpm, now i am getting it on a cold start up and idling and it stays for about 5 mins and then goes away at idle, then when i am driving it seems about anything above 2,500 rpm it does it untill the motor is fully warmed up. on the really cold nights i will use the block heater and helps alot, has no screeching at idle only about 2,500 rpm and above.

i thought it was somthing to do with the clutch as i just did that a month or 2 ago, but if the clutch is engaged or disengaged it doesnt make a differnce so it could only be the pilot bushing if it were to be somthing to do with the clutch job.

auto parts guy told me its probaly ethier the belt or the power steering pump. the belt is fairly new and the pump is original from what i know of

Thank You

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

loose belt!
Old 12-19-2005, 03:41 PM

Montea,

Check the belt on the alternator. On cold start ups you draw more amps out of the battery and the alternator has to work hard and fast to build the battery back up so the belt slips.
With the engine off try and turn the alternator pulley with your hand. You should not be able to move it at all.

Good Hunting
Scholman
Old 12-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last journal entry: Getting rid of the old and Adding the New
Last photo:

Belts or alternator, it's got to be one or the other.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:39 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

Thanks for the replys

i checked in the dark before i went to work last night and i could turn the alternator fan blade things but it seemed to be pulling the belt with it, and the belt feels pretty tight. The alternator is also fairly new, i changed it out in the summer.

it is a 1 belt setup with a tensoner, most likley be the tensoner that needs replacing?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last journal entry: Getting rid of the old and Adding the New
Last photo:

Could be

I have a 2003 GMC EXT Cab with the 4.8 V8 in it. When it's a damp morning this tensioner sounds like she's steel on steel (squeals like a banshee). Not until the the truck warms up will it go away and it's rather annoying. If you changed the alternator yourself, check the alignment of the pulleys. If this is off or you got the wrong size pulley on the alternator this can also be your problem. Did this start immediately after you installed the new alternator? Just some things to look at. Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:16 AM

Last journal entry: Cooling...
Last photo:

Try this,

Start it up cold, or when ever it screeches, and splash about 8 to 12 oz of water on the belt while its running, stand in front of the car, or you'll get wet. If the screech changes monetarily, you know you have a problem with the belt, if not, look at the idlers.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:17 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

i replaced the alternator myself in june and it has the same size pulley and it is visually aligned from the side, its only started the screeching since the really cold weather. i got the car in april so its the first winter ive had the car for.

Would one of those auto stethascopes work very well for tracking down where it is coming from?

and is it somthing i should really worry about to much?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:24 AM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Once a belt starts slipping it will glaze over. It will never stop screeching till you replace the belt if that has happened. Remove the belt and turn the idler and see if it has any resistance. Then start the car without the belt and see if it still make the noise. I have seen a starter that would not disengage when it was cold out and it would make a screeching noise till it warmed up enough to spring back out of the way.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:26 AM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by montea
Would one of those auto stethascopes work very well for tracking down where it is coming from?
You do not want dangly rubber hoses hooked to your ears any where near the belts
Old 12-21-2005, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

Probably the best thing to do(if you have not solved this already ) would be to remove the belt and check the tensioner and any other idler pulleys you may have. If it/they are loose and can be wobbled on their mounts then they need to be replaced. Check the tensioner for free movement since if it is stiff and the spring will not move it freely then it too will need replacement, assuming it is a spring type self adjusting. Jake-Dragon told you right, if that belt has been slipping then toss it and get a new one, you will save your self some trouble now or later.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:25 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

we have been really lucky and have had no cold weather all winter so far up here in this part of canada and so my car hasnt been screeching much at all untill yesterday with above freezing tempatures, not to cold.

i was stoped at a red light and i was in gear with the clutch in and i heard this screeching noise and it was kicking in and out. seemed like the tranny as well didnt want to shift as good as it should of.

Today i put it up on the jack stands and checked the oil the the trans and it was full and like new looking as it was replaced a few months ago. then i noticed the bell housing was all wet and the bottom of the engine oil pan too, i thought it was a oil leak but it was antifreeze, i checked under the hood and my water pump gasket is leaking at the top and running down the block and down the sides and bottom and looks like its going into the clutch bellhousing.

so my question is if a clutch were to have a little bit of antifreeze in it would it make it have a screeching sound cutting in and out? and what kind of damage would it be doing? do you think this is the problem?

ive always had a small coolant leak and the last week or so its been getting pretty bad.

i bought a bottle of coolant system sealent stuff you dump into the rad so im going to try that tommarow morning.

Thank you.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.