Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - cold weather painting&needing help
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroatkid View Post
Ok so heres where we are..that restorstion shop paint from tcp global is the problem!I thought i had got it to lay how it should but when I sprayed today it had tons of orange peel..well I had some old 4th dimemsion bc I shot&it is laying on perfrct&it cures in a few seconds..so What Im painting is a full size ext cab truck&I have a little under half a gallon so what Im gonna do is try to use whats left in it as the bottom half of the truck is painted a diffrent color&I was going for 2 tone so Im gonna try to shoot the top half with this paint &if I run out Ill just paint the bumpers to match bumpers..So I have a few questions,first they quit making this paint..is there anyway somebody can mix it up?Its a silver from a chevelle..also its a bc/cc that dosnt use a hardner just reducer its also a metallic..can I skip the clear?I have a gallon of clear but it looks good without it.Thanks..oh &why would the single stage have orange peel but the bc dosnt?
#1 base coat is so much thinner than Single Stage, that's why you don't have orange peel...(your gun can break down or atomize thinner paint and can't atomize thicker paint).
#2 Is the 1/2 gallon of base coat reduced or un-reduced? If you have 2 quarts un-reduced that will make 1 full gallon reduced, 2 quarts reduced should be enough for the bottom.
#3 All base coats must be cleared, all your UV (Ultra Violet) protection is in your clear coat, the base alone doesn't have any protection qualities at all. It will not protect against rust, weather and sunlight will chaulk out the metallic's as well as un-cleared base coat has no shine.
#4 Any automotive paint supplier should be able to make that color for you, if it's from a Chevelle, they need to go to their old GM chip book and you can pick a color.

Just a side note, in your last post you mentioned that you used a quart of reducer to clean your gun...talk to your paint supplier, you can buy a 5 gallon pail of gun wash for under $50.00, reducer is to expensive and doesn't clean your gun as good as gun wash.