cold weather painting&needing help - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 05:52 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks good to know,well here's my next issue..I just went to check the paint&its still very tacky like if I touch the paint on my test panel I sprayed @the same time my finger will stick to it&everything I look@looks like orange peel but if I turn the light on it it diapers.I'm not sure if its orange peel or just the paint hasn't settled..if it is op..its the whole body so Idk getting worried

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Single stage as I mentioned will take a long time to set up, as far as orange peel goes, it might be, I can't see it. Also if it disappears when the sunlight hits it, it shouldn't be that bad...many urethane paints, and clears do have a texture to them...look at any new car at a dealership...The majority have orange peel. In order to get rid of orange peel, different gun set ups and techniques need to be tried as every paint is different in thickness, flow time and cure time. If you have a little orange peel and it seems to go away in the sunlight...it sounds like your major problems are solved...correct?

Ray
Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM
two cups of tea

here's a pic I took of a metal lamps reflection in it to get it to show up..it looks horrible.Im thinking its just because the paint is still setting up.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM
two cups of tea

Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

OK, that looks like a lot of orange peel, how far away is the camera? To me it looks like gun set up, not enough atomization....cut back on the fluid adjustment, open up your pattern (make sure the pattern is still even by testing it on a piece of masking paper) and try a bit more air pressure...I can't see the whole panel and don't know how far away the camera was...if the camera is 5 to 8 inches away from the panel, the orange peel will appear to be more visible in a picture than it is in sunlight and may be acceptable.

Let me know
ray
Old 12-02-2012, 06:46 PM
two cups of tea

The camera was about 12 inches away but I just went back down there its orange peel.I had the gun adjusted to where I had the cigar pattern&it all seemed well bumpd up to 33psi The whole vehicle is like this now.I'm about to give up this isn't my first time ending up with bad orange peel.I only have tomorrow to finish it as I'm going out of town so I gotta figure out if I'm gonna resand the whole thing or what
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroatkid View Post
The camera was about 12 inches away but I just went back down there its orange peel.I had the gun adjusted to where I had the cigar pattern&it all seemed well bumpd up to 33psi The whole vehicle is like this now.I'm about to give up this isn't my first time ending up with bad orange peel.I only have tomorrow to finish it as I'm going out of town so I gotta figure out if I'm gonna resand the whole thing or what
Need to know what gun you are using. What is the max psi stated for the gun in the instructions. And are you setting psi with the trigger pulled? To me, it looks like something I sprayed when I had the psi set way too low.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

What kind of gun are you using and what size tip and air cap...when it comes to painting there are so many variables...some people feel that if the product they are painting is thick, they need a big tip and air cap like a 1.6 or 1.8...that is the wrong way to think...the thicker the product the smaller the air cap and fluid needle is what is needed to make the product lay down flat and smooth...with a smaller set up, the material goes on finer and has a flatter finish. with a larger set up 1.6 to 1.8 the material is being put on the vehicle like a garden hose...let it sit over night, not much you can do tonight to fix it...in the morning when it has set up a bit more, take it outside and see what you've got...inside lighting can be the most critical lighting to look at paint...it has shadows and shows every imperfection as natural light is much more forgiving.

After you look at it tomorrow, let me know, you can PM if you like.

Ray
Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 PM
two cups of tea

I'm using a cheap hf gun max psi is 35..I'm running the comp@100&33@the gun with trigger pulled.Its flowing fast I'm guessing I was going to slow allowing too much fluid maybe?Do I sand the whole vehicle down now?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 PM
two cups of tea

The tip is 1.4
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

As I mentioned earlier, turn your fluid in so not as much material is coming out of your gun, obviously, this is a thick product and a 1.4 is the maximum size for a product of this viscosity. As Novafreak said, you can try to turn up your air pressure as long as your "cigar pattern doesn't change...if the pattern looks heavy on the top and the bottom use a tighter smaller pattern. As far as sanding it down...wait until the morning, take a look at it then and let us know, if you require a flatter finish, then you may need to sand it down and redo your gun set up.

Very often there is a reason HF guns don't cost as much as a brand name gun, they don't seem to have the flexibility of use and adjustment range of other guns.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroatkid View Post
The bad news is that looks exactly like the bottom of my hood after I painted it with a HF gun.

The good news is it is not dry. I color sanded and buffed mine and it came out gorgeous. That being said, it will be the last time I use the HF gun. I painted the top with an old Binks no7 clone and it came out beautifully. My personal opinion is the HF gun just did not atomize the paint. I suspect more pressure and more reduction would help but paint is just to expensive to waste trying to make a 15 dollar gun work.

Good luck Cutthroatkid.

John L
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM
two cups of tea

Well I read your last post wrong&turned the fluid up more..shot a few test panels going faster..slower...closer farther etc &still got op..I wetsanded a test panel I did earlier it dosnt look too bad but not great either.Ill turn it down when I try In the am..when I sand this all down can I just wet sand&shoot with primer or what step do I take?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM
two cups of tea

Ive shot bc/cc with these hf guns&they came out great maybe it just dosnt like SS.I'm getting devilish for xmas just wish I had it now..it seems like every time I touch SS its a mess..I know a old man only uses SS&hf guns&his all work turns out great really grinds my gears ya know.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
I think there a couple of possibilities. The quality control with these guns may be such that one may work great and the next one not so much. Also, it may be very possible that I have just not used mine enough to become proficient with it. I paid 226 dollars for the last gallon of Deltron not counting reducer or hardener. There is no way I am going to use my paint to figure out which is the case.

Please, don't think I am doubting that there are a lot of guys on here who do well with them. My reason for posting was to tell you I was successfully in rubbing the paint out and ended up with a very good finish. Everyone will have make their own decision as to whether they want to go with the HF purple gun.

John L

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.