cold weather painting&needing help - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm sorry but, I'm laughing, you painted your cabinets because you ran out of test panels...I'm just happy it worked for you, keep some reducer in your gun and you should be OK.

LOL..painted my cabinets...Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Lol yeah had no other option..well what I did was ran the fan wide open ran 45psi with trigger pulled let the fluid control knob out&cranked the air setting up.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM
two cups of tea

Btw the paint is automotive paint.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM
two cups of tea

Ok so heres where we are..that restorstion shop paint from tcp global is the problem!I thought i had got it to lay how it should but when I sprayed today it had tons of orange peel..well I had some old 4th dimemsion bc I shot&it is laying on perfrct&it cures in a few seconds..so What Im painting is a full size ext cab truck&I have a little under half a gallon so what Im gonna do is try to use whats left in it as the bottom half of the truck is painted a diffrent color&I was going for 2 tone so Im gonna try to shoot the top half with this paint &if I run out Ill just paint the bumpers to match bumpers..So I have a few questions,first they quit making this paint..is there anyway somebody can mix it up?Its a silver from a chevelle..also its a bc/cc that dosnt use a hardner just reducer its also a metallic..can I skip the clear?I have a gallon of clear but it looks good without it.Thanks..oh &why would the single stage have orange peel but the bc dosnt?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM
two cups of tea

Ok so I was just told is base doesn't peel usually but clear will. so am I going to get peel in the clear. because even if I do 6 coat of clear what is from the first coat to the 6 all of it has orange peel the net is pointless to wet sand right? also I have a buffer but I have no clue how to cut and buff
Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroatkid View Post
Ok so heres where we are..that restorstion shop paint from tcp global is the problem!I thought i had got it to lay how it should but when I sprayed today it had tons of orange peel..well I had some old 4th dimemsion bc I shot&it is laying on perfrct&it cures in a few seconds..so What Im painting is a full size ext cab truck&I have a little under half a gallon so what Im gonna do is try to use whats left in it as the bottom half of the truck is painted a diffrent color&I was going for 2 tone so Im gonna try to shoot the top half with this paint &if I run out Ill just paint the bumpers to match bumpers..So I have a few questions,first they quit making this paint..is there anyway somebody can mix it up?Its a silver from a chevelle..also its a bc/cc that dosnt use a hardner just reducer its also a metallic..can I skip the clear?I have a gallon of clear but it looks good without it.Thanks..oh &why would the single stage have orange peel but the bc dosnt?
#1 base coat is so much thinner than Single Stage, that's why you don't have orange peel...(your gun can break down or atomize thinner paint and can't atomize thicker paint).
#2 Is the 1/2 gallon of base coat reduced or un-reduced? If you have 2 quarts un-reduced that will make 1 full gallon reduced, 2 quarts reduced should be enough for the bottom.
#3 All base coats must be cleared, all your UV (Ultra Violet) protection is in your clear coat, the base alone doesn't have any protection qualities at all. It will not protect against rust, weather and sunlight will chaulk out the metallic's as well as un-cleared base coat has no shine.
#4 Any automotive paint supplier should be able to make that color for you, if it's from a Chevelle, they need to go to their old GM chip book and you can pick a color.

Just a side note, in your last post you mentioned that you used a quart of reducer to clean your gun...talk to your paint supplier, you can buy a 5 gallon pail of gun wash for under $50.00, reducer is to expensive and doesn't clean your gun as good as gun wash.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok so I was just told is base doesn't peel usually but clear will. so am I going to get peel in the clear. because even if I do 6 coat of clear what is from the first coat to the 6 all of it has orange peel the net is pointless to wet sand right? also I have a buffer but I have no clue how to cut and buff
Clear Coat is a thicker product and chances are it will peel as well...Like I mentioned earlier...Why not wait until Christmas when you get your Devilbus gun...If that's a problem, then the orange peel that won't be fixed until you get proper equipment...If you where closer I'd let you borrow one of my guns but your in MO and I'm in Canada...You mentioned you had a friend that had a gun...could you borrow his?

Cutting and buffing an extended cab...the clear has to cure thoroughly before you polish and with the temperature you'd in all probability be there till Christmas anyway.

I am seriously trying to help, but, everything seems to come back to equipment.

Ray
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM
two cups of tea

Ok so Im gonna end up with orange peel then when I shoot the clear..hmm could it be that Im under or over reducing?The single stage?It dosnt call for reducer but its thick...The tech sheet dosnt say nothing about reducing excepct for that its optional..so Ive beedln reducing@1:4 What should I try?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

The clear that you have, how is it mixed? What ratio?
Clear coat won't be as thick as your industrial Single Stage. Have you tried a test panel with the clear coat?

Let me know what the mix ratio's are for your clear and I'll give you your next step.

Ray
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

If your tech sheet is for Single Stage, try reducing it...I think I mentioned in a previous post to reduce it between 10 and 15%.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 PM
two cups of tea

She gave me the devilbliss today still the same issue..Ill let you know on the clear when I run down in a bit&the single stage is automitive paint not industrial
Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 PM
two cups of tea

I know your trying I appreciate it
Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Yes, try the clear with your new gun...damn I hope it works for you.

Ray
Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,290 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
If your tech sheet is for Single Stage, try reducing it...I think I mentioned in a previous post to reduce it between 10 and 15%.
I think all the advice 69widetrack has given you is right on. It definitely sounds like the viscosity of your paint is way to thick. You do not mention whether or not you have sufficiently reduced this paint. If it is not properly reduced you can use the best equipment money can buy and it is still not going to flow out. You are going to end up with the orange peel or dry overspray.

John L
Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM
two cups of tea

Quote:
Ok so Im gonna end up with orange peel then when I shoot the clear..hmm could it be that Im under or over reducing?The single stage?It dosnt call for reducer but its thick...The tech sheet dosnt say nothing about reducing excepct for that its optional..so Ive beedln reducing@1:4 What should I try?
I mentoined reducing here

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.