Hot Rod Forum banner

Coleman Air Tools

9K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  julmer 
#1 ·
How well built are the Coleman Powermate Air Tools? Are they reliable?

Reason I ask is, Pepboys has a deal right now for a 62 pc. Colaman air tool kit for $100.

This is what it contains:
(1) 1/2" Impact Wrench w/connector
(1) 3/8" Ratchet Wrench w/connector
(1) 1-5/8" Hammer w/connector
(1) 1/4" Die Grinder w/connector
(1) Air Duster w/connector
(1) Blow Gun w/connector
(8) 1/2" Drive Socket Set
(1) 4mm Hex Key
(1) 3" Extension Bar
(1) 3/8" to 1/2" Adapter
(1) Mini Oiler
(1) 1/4" Quick Connect Coupler
(1) Tape Sealer
(1) Oil Container
(1) Spring Retainer
(4) 125mm Round Chisels
(1) Carrying Case
(1) 1/8" Collet
(1) 1/4" Collet
(5) 1/8" Mounted Grinding Stones
(5) 1/4" Mounted Grinding Stones
(1) 1" Sanding Drum
(1) 3/4" Sanding Drum
(5) 1" Sanding Drum Sleeves
(5) 3/4" Sanding Drum Sleeves
(2) Wrench for Die Grinder
(1) Inflation Needle
(1) Rubber Tip Nozzle
(1) Safety Nozzle
(1) High-Pressure Nozzle
(1) Tapered Nozzle
(1) Dual Head Tire Chuck w/connector
(1) 1/4" M/M Connector
(1) 1/4" F/M Connector
(1) 360º Swivel Connector

Would this kit be worth buying? What are your thoughts on it?

Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
I have found over the years that with power tools, specifically air tools, the question of quality depends on the use. If you plan on making a living with them, they will likely not last long. If you are only going to use them occasionally, at home, they may do alright if you maintain them with oil. The impact probably won't have as mush power as one of the name brands, although they all varry anyway.

Basically.... it is all in what you expect them to do. A good high power impact can cost you $200+. Same for the air ratchet. The sockets most likely are not the highest quality, and may not fit as good as name brands, but may be alright for what you want them to do. Then again, you do get alot of little stuff and a nice case for it all.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply.

I do not plan on using them for any sort of profesional use, just the typical home use on the cars and what-not.

Of course, I would maintain them, as I do all my tools. thats easy.

Do you think this would be a waste of money or a worthy investment in a good starter kit?

Chris

#4 ·
the impact gun is all but garbage, it has about 225 ft lbs, wich is nothing compared to a good one wich runs 500 plus lbs.
i bought the impact gun and tried to return it, they wouldn't take it back so i had to buy a good one. i have one for free if you're ever in eastern canada. lol.mike
the die grinder you can grab with a gloved hand and stop it.

#5 ·
Really!?!?!?

Its a good thing you said something, Thank you. I actually just got home from PepBoys a couple mins ago. I went over there to look at the kit, and decide on buying it. They were sold out. Must be a sign.

Anyone else have experience with the Coleman Powermate tools?

Chris

#6 ·
Same attitude as mikeweyman about the impact, I actually felt guilty handing over a cheapo CH impact to a buddy (he didn't know any better and was smiling at his first air tool).

I started off with the cheap air tools, and have learned my lesson. I am not a mechanic, yet work on my sleds, bikes and truck, and I have to say...don't waste that $100 on the cheap things, as you will have to buy others later on when you actually have to do some work with them (esp. the impact and air hammer/chisel)

I have had good luck with the Ingersol Rand tools, and Auto Pro tools from NAPA...and think I have given away all my old cheap air tools as they just wouldn't do the job I thought they were for.

#7 ·
i just bought a coleman DA sander and its such a pos. it says it only uses 6@90 psi and my air compressor puts out 5.8@90. in like 15-20 seconds the air compressor kicks in again and never shuts off and about minute or so the tank is so empty. i think that the rating on the DA sander is totally wrong. somtimes when u press the triger it doesnt do nothing gota turn the sanding disk a bit by hand to get it going. while sanding it spews oil all over, i just put in 2-3 drops like the manual says. im gona take it back and try somthing else :smash:

#9 ·
i have that kit, and it's great. got it over a year ago and it's been put though alot allready, tools are quite tough

and montea i have a da sander by ir and have the same problems with it, both with oil spillage and with air consumption, i think it's just the nature of the tool

#10 ·
Just my opinion, but you get what you pay for.
Back in my rookie days at a Chrysler dealership, I bought a CP impact. I was poor, so I thought this will do for now. Boy, was I wrong. Tossed it in the can after about 20 minutes of use. Absolute junk.
The cheapo tools are all made by the same factory in China, they then just put different labels on them.
I bought an IR 231 and will never look back. picked it up slightly used for 100.00 from a mechanic I worked with and that was money well spent. Loads of torque. As with any tool, take care of it, and it will take care of you.
Personally, I would avoid that Coleman kit, has more fluff than anything else.
Checkout Ebay and search for Ingersol Rand air tools. Cost more, but well worth the investment, even for casual use.
:thumbup:

#11 ·
Coleman Tools

I Have had a Coleman tools set mow for two years now and I have had no problems with any of the tools, They are in my opinion good for the Weekend Warrior:boxing: ! Just keep up the maintenance on them and they should be fine:thumbup:
EYE8IT:evil:

#12 ·
like everything else, you get what you pay for. that said, however, the coleman tools aren't all that bad. some really suck, but some are okay. i have the 3/8" air ratchet and the mini die grinder, as well as the 3" cut off wheel. i do make my living with these tools, and the ones i have seem to be holding up pretty good. if you get the die grinder, get good burrs, though. it is a little weak, but with a sharp burr it keeps up alright.

the impacts suck a##, though. rated at 250lbs/ft, not even close. (i don't own one, but my snap on gun was getting rebuilt) i hammered on a wheel nut with one for about five minutes without budging it. hit it once with my blue point 3/8" gun and ziiiip.... off she came. (that gun is only 200 lbs... go figure)

the air hammer has too fast of a blow rate, it's really hard to control. the chisels and punches are really not all that good either

#13 ·
Pay close attention to brand when you shop. There are 2 CP's out there. Central Pneumatic from Harbor Freight and Chicago Pneumatic. The Chicago ones are old line American and are some of the best available. Most of those tools are legendary for long, dependable service. The Harbor Freight stuff is all fair copies of good brands but is built sloppy with inferior materials. They will do the job in most cases but are throw-away. When it breaks, you just get another one.
If I were starting out from scratch, I might buy one of those kits just so I would have everything at once but I would assume I would be replacing it as I went along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.