Collector Car Insurance. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What company are you using for classic/antique car insurance?
Sneed 1 4.17%
Hagerty 9 37.50%
American Collectors Insurance 3 12.50%
Other, please specify 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2004, 06:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

only have space for two in the lock-up the street rods must sit outside. I do have a big dog though. Sun really is rough on my paint even if I cover them... got a tent type round thing for one but the other will need new paint this summer. Getting ready to go to Oklahoma City NSRA this week. That sorta kicks off my interest for the year...just got rid of the snow last week some green showing just need some motovation. Still want to check out Grundy suspect my State Farm will be most likely candidate as I can just call him and he sends me a bill. Although he did mention pictures the last time I talked to him.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Now for the hard part of this insurance quest of mine.
The appraisal, I couldn't find ANYTHING on it within the entire Northwestern Pennsylvania region.

I will check with the local Chevrolet dealer and see what they say.

It's going to be a busy week for sure, I will sign the Malibu off the winter suspension and drive it to work at least a couple times before the classic plate and registration are applied for, and new insurance gets switched from the regular policy.

I want to switch the original stamped steel valve covers for finned aluminum that appear to have a GM typical part number on them.

I still have yet to locate some of the last little things necessary to finish the car for the summer.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Hey tell me about finned aluminum valve covers. Only ones I know about are Corvette either nine fin or seven fin. I do believe some of the late 350 had a ribbed top you know the ones with the mounting holes in the top. Thats how I tell if they are unleaded or not. My crate 350 had the ribbed guys and I put a set of those heads on my other car so I could use the unleaded.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by wally
Hey tell me about finned aluminum valve covers. Only ones I know about are Corvette either nine fin or seven fin.
They are seven fin and have a part number of 3932418, and I have no clue where or when I got them.

I got the Malibu appraised today and the guy only looked under the trunk, looked under the area of the engine and transmission, and asked to see the registration.

If thats all there is to an automobile appraisal, I found a new career.

He talked to himself as much as he did to me and gave it an appraised value of $6,000.00.

But I want to see if anyone else will value it higher, it's like an auction "never go with the first bidder".

And the local Chevy dealer, upon their move from their old facility 5 years ago, put everything that would be considered useful to a collector, in the dumpster.

The co-owner of the dealership told me he estimates over one million dollars worth of collectable materials, but at the time of the move they just wanted to get rid of stuff they didn't think useful at the time.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

I think the valve covers may say Corvette on the top. Thing about these is that they have only four bolt holes either staggered or straight across. I'm sure the heads can be reworked but as stock issue they will not like un-leaded gas. The engine must be late fifties or early sixties.

Why are you so up tight about the apprasal...just tell your insurance company what you want to insure it for and I think he will be glad to take your money. Not too many people out there who know old car values and most think the worst. Its very subjective.

In Denver there is a lot called 'oldies but goodies' he apprased my car but I wanted a low apprasal because the title and taxes are based upon this apprasal value it could get dicie if I had to pay on a 20K value.
If you say its a Chevelle not too many valuable models out there unless it SS 454 ..sounds like you got a small block and only real value could be in originality.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by wally
I think the valve covers may say Corvette on the top. Thing about these is that they have only four bolt holes either staggered or straight across. I'm sure the heads can be reworked but as stock issue they will not like un-leaded gas. The engine must be late fifties or early sixties.
[color=yellow]I have no idea what engine they came from or when, as I only have a set of valve covers, I don't have a set of heads anywhere in my shop old enough to require leaded gas. Typical 4-bolts around the perimiter.[/color]
Why are you so up tight about the apprasal...just tell your insurance company what you want to insure it for and I think he will be glad to take your money. Not too many people out there who know old car values and most think the worst. Its very subjective.

[color=yellow]Not uptight about the appraisal, and the agent requires an appraisal for the declared amount (payoff in case the car gets totalled) he said I could go as high as I want but don't settle for the first offer as I might be able to go higher.
Not very often the insurance agent will help you try to get more for your buck.[/color]
In Denver there is a lot called 'oldies but goodies' he apprased my car but I wanted a low apprasal because the title and taxes are based upon this apprasal value it could get dicie if I had to pay on a 20K value.
If you say its a Chevelle not too many valuable models out there unless it SS 454 ..sounds like you got a small block and only real value could be in originality.

[color=yellow]Once I send in the check to PennDot for my classic plate and registration, I'm done paying as the classic plate is a permanent issued plate to me. Once I have the plate my car is exempt from emissions testing and visual checking, which the previous owner removed most of those parts, replacement cost of those parts is over $400, plate-registration and exemption from emissions is only $99.95[/color]
Old 03-30-2004, 05:06 AM

Last photo:

Colorado has a five year plate for 125, but no inspection.
Sounds like the valve covers belong back on your shelf...some collector may make you an offer you cannot refuse some day.

Good luck on your goals. One of my kids still has a El Camino but its all big block. Used to be lots of Chevelles around my house but they are all gone now. Just street rods and vettes left. Oh one Harley that my kid has... it..ain't mine, kids have all moved away but we do meet for NSRA a couple times a year.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I am now getting VERY curious on these valve covers. And here's why.

3932418 Valve cover, (original casting number), 302

This was found at Revzone.com's "1967 - 69 Camaro Part Numbers & Description" page.

Here's the link.
http://www.revzone.com/camaro-facts3.htm

Here is what they would look like if I were to clean them up a lot.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:05 AM

Last photo:

They look a bit newer than I expected some 'middle models' 66-72 had these aa a performance option package. Your still in trouble if your using latemodel unleaded heads as they bolt in the centers. I sorta expected these from your discription I don't call them finned but 'ribbed'. Depending on what heads your using they will look nice I don't know what heads you got if they are older model with reworked seats for unleaded your in business...all my late model 72 and above have three or four bolts down the center except big block.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Small block Chevy engines didn't have the center bolt valve covers until around 1986 or so. I have nothing newer than early '80's, and nothing older than 1975 as far as heads or engine blocks go, except for a select few 327 parts.

These covers will fit all of the heads I have, but the only source that returned a part number search calls for the 302 application.

A visual descriptive search came up with the picture in my previous post, and THAT search says for 69-75 Corvette.

These covers have NO insert for the "crossed flags" Corvette emblem, and initial inspection of the cover that "would" have that emblem show none was ever applied.

I still think they would look nice on the car though.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

hmmmmmmmmmmm, an insurance question and we are discussing valve covers? LOL

I've used Grundy for 10 years. Never had a claim with any vehicle.

A co-worker uses Hagerty, he is happy with them.

He went with Hagerty because Grundy told him on the phone they only insure collector cars. This is oppisite from what Grundy advertises. I called Grundy and was told they do insure modified cars.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Crosley
hmmmmmmmmmmm, an insurance question and we are discussing valve covers? LOL
Isn't it funny how that sort of thing happens.

I already made up my mind on sticking with State Farm with the Malibu, as I haven't gotten any other appraisals on the Malibu quite as high as the $6,000 one, and the others actually got to looking at the car a little more than the first guy did.

They actually worked for their money, and got paid more of a standard rate for their appraisals, which pretty much ranged from $3,500, to $5,200 value and an appraisal cost of $59.95 from almost all of them.

I will find out from my insurance agent what the annual cost will be for this appraised value amount since it is less than half what I had asked for in the first place.

The main reason in staying with State Farm is the underlying insurance coverages, all the way up to 10 times the amount of what the others were going to for medical/uninsured/underinsured, and it drops this vehicles insurance cost to less than what I was paying on the winter suspension.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:32 AM

Last photo:

M&M, those covers are identical to the ones on my 74 L82 vette. Use em! The fella telling you to shelve them is confusing them with early vette covers that don't have PCV or oil filler holes.
As for Chevelles not being valuable........I don't know where he's been the last few years. They keep climbing and climbing.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:19 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

TOP valve covers look like early chevy cause the top holes are closer together than the bottoms.

i've said before Allstate has a Specialty Car ins. you have to have their regular policy for 3 months to get it. if you dont drive the car at all it's like $25/mo. want to drive then call them and tell them to activate it for the day.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Chevelle climb

Seems they are clinbing almost going to be worth womething in another fifty years. Only two are worth dragging home thats the SS454 two door hardtop/convertable or the El Camino. Their gonna be like the old Thunderbirds everybody thinks the birds are worth twenty five thousand but look at the prices they been twenty five thousand for ten years and are not selling. Too each his own and whatever you can afford is what you keep, beauty of the 'sport' basically run what you brung but as too whats worth keeping for potiential future killer value is just as unafordable today as it will be in five years. Im glad there are Chevelle lovers and all the rest that keeps them from trying to buy my choices and running up the prices. My pick for the most valuable 'car in the future' is the Corvette 1967 big block coupe. Saw one with a warmed over recon go for 80K at he auction bet in a few more years any original cherry will bring a 100K at auction.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.