Collector Car Insurance. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What company are you using for classic/antique car insurance?
Sneed 1 4.17%
Hagerty 9 37.50%
American Collectors Insurance 3 12.50%
Other, please specify 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Collector Car Insurance.

I just received a quote from several collector car insurance companies and have only had ONE stand out and give me "what I want" and more.

The best part is they are quoting a price that is only a couple dollars more than the liability I have on it now.

The only problem with this liability coverage I have on it at the moment is, I CANNOT drive the car as it is currently signed off from driving privileges until next month, at which point the cost of this liability coverage will DOUBLE.

With the quote I received I "could" drive it year 'round as long as I don't go over the agreed mileage limit (no problem), and I could take it out whenever the weather cooperated.

Has anyone else had a collector car insurance company that seemed to impress them like this one did me? And what insurance companies are you other rodders pleased with for your classics and antiques?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2004, 05:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I use Hagarty exclusively. Don't have a mileage limit, can drive it whenever I want (as long as I don't use it as daily transportation to work) and they have agreed value coverage which is a big plus. When I insure a vehicle I want to know that if it's destroyed, damaged beyond repair, or stolen that I will receive payment for the actual value of the vehicle and not some pro-rated depreciated amount.

Centerline
Old 03-26-2004, 06:04 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I use American National Insurance Chrome policy. I do have a mileage limit but it is 7500 miles which I only came close to once, but they have never checked it. it cut my insurance close in half or more.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:07 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

In an attempt to compare the insurance providers on a somewhat equalized (apples and apples) basis the following comparison might be helpful. The data is from their website or in some instances I did follow up correspondence to clarify definitions etc.

All quotes are for the same base coverage unless noted otherwise. These are annual premiums.

Car type - modified street rod
Value - $50,000
Deductible - $250 unless noted
Liability coverage $300,000 (the max in most cases)
Medical Payments - yes
Towing - max $100

I have arranged the companies from lowest premium to highest premium - but pay special attention to the "Limits" section for each carrier. Clearly, all insurance is not the same - some have very restrictive use limits, some are very liberal.

1) Grundy
Premium - $308
Deductible - $0.00
Limitations :

No mileage limits
Unlimited use in collector activities, exhibits and parades. Show, hobby, and pleasure purposes only. No racing, rally use, backup for daily transportation, to/from work, or errands.

2) Midwest Classics
Premium - $462
Limitations:

3,000 miles (5,000 miles available for additional $). No general transportation use, no work related use, no race related use.

3) Sneed
Premium - $520
Limitations:

No mileage limits, no race usage, no to/from work. All other uses allowed.

4) AON Collector Car Ins.
Premium - $582
Limitations:

No mileage limits, no daily use, no business use, no racing related use.

5) Classic Automobile Ins.
Premium - $628
Limitations:

5,000 miles. Can NOT be used for back up transportation, errands including grocery runs, shopping centers, to/from work, to/from school, business or commercial activities, towing, hauling, off road use or racing related use.

6) Great American

See Classic Automobile above - same company and coverage

7) American Hobbyist
Premium - $ 642
Deductible -$500
Limitations:

No mileage limit. Hobby, exhibition or pleasure use only. Pleasure use specifically does NOT include trips to shopping or mall, movies, groceries, restaurants or church. Pleasure use defined as "short trip to keep the engine going." No everyday driving.

8) Tri State Collector Car
Premium - $738
Limitations:

Only available in 12 midwestern states. 2,500 mile limit (can get special use rates for additional premium). Pleasure driving only - doe NOT include general transportation such as running errands, to/from work, shopping, malls, golf courses or any uses "which require leaving the vehicle unattended."

9) Hagerty
Premium - $762
Deductible - $0.00

Limitations:

No specific mileage limit. Must be used on a limited basis "consistent with the operation of something valuable such as club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours, and limited pleasure driving". No pro-street modifications such as roll cages, wheelie castors, nitrous systems etc. No business or commercial use, No regular use or uses associated with a daily driver.

10) American National
Premium - $850*

*Note: This is the quote for "traditional" coverage and is not the "Chrome" coverage mentioned by EBlack36. I could not find any info on the Chrome coverage on their website. I'll add specifics on Chrome coverage if someone can get it.

11) American Collectors
Premium - $1,015
Limitations:

2,500 miles. No everyday driving

12) Voyage

No quote service or information available without calling their 800 number.

13) Condon & Shelly

No quote service or information available without calling their 800 number.

Hope this helps those who might be searching for the appropriate coverage/carrier.

Dewey
Old 03-26-2004, 03:09 PM

Last photo:

I have Haggerty on my 74 vette. $12,500 agreed upon value,full coverage year round=$158. I aint complaining!
Old 03-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I may be crazy but I have my Willys with State Farm along with all my grocery getters and it dosen't cost any more than the others, less than the newest ones (several kids on my account too!). Limitations are 5,000mi/year (no problem), and can only drive to and from work and to rod shows (what else is there?!).
Old 03-26-2004, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Willys,

Ya, I saw one of your prior posts indicating you had State Farm on your rod so I had tried to include SF in my my survey. Unfortunately they don't have anything on their website regarding premiums for "agreed value" coverage. Also, from what I understand, one has to have ALL of their cars on SF to get the agreed value - so it made it a little different from the other companies - that's why I didn't include it. (Didn't leave you out on purpose!!!!!!!!!)

Dewey
Old 03-26-2004, 06:09 PM

Insurance

I have AON on my car and to date they were the cheapest with the most coverage I could find.
Ive had State Farm since 1971, and they would not insure my " "modified " car. I think coverage may vary state to state and even agent to agent.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Last photo:

Hagerty, because they were the only one of a bunch that I checked with that would insure a car under construction.

Vince
Old 03-27-2004, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

Ya know I drive less than 500 mile a year on my street rod and some years I don't even start it. My point I guess is that the prices someone has shown are tooo high. Why can't we buy insurance say for the summer or only driving to shows and an ocassional cruse? I had one quote for $279...I think it was from my State Farm guy. I thought I would sign up for the six months of warm wheather and forget the other six. Since I built the thing myself almost any damage I can fix so I am not interested in the 50K value costs. Just plain collision and liability meeting state requirements is all I want. Any comments?
Old 03-27-2004, 11:24 AM

I use Hagarty

I pay 120 a year for 2 cars on my policy

Here's why I went with them.....

My uncle has a 70 1/2 Camaro. He put a new motor in it, and it caused a fire when he was breaking it in.

It didn't spread past the firewall, but it destroyed everything under the hood. Well my uncle is in sales, but he has a mechanic's liscence too. Hagarty payed for 100% of the cost to fix everything. Heres the kicker.....They payed my uncle 55 dollars and hour to fix his own car since he is certified and just did it for less than it WOULD have cost to take it somewhere.

You can't beat that
Old 03-27-2004, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by wally
Ya know I drive less than 500 mile a year on my street rod and some years I don't even start it. My point I guess is that the prices someone has shown are tooo high. Why can't we buy insurance say for the summer or only driving to shows and an ocassional cruse?
Wally,

I think you would be a perfect candidate for an outfit like Grundy. You might want to check out their website and get an online quote. I am certain it would be well under that state farm quote. They have some restrictions on use but you appear to fit their profile very well - and their cost per dollar value on your car is the lowest of the ones I looked at.

The problem with "seasonal" coverage for most guys is damage that might be done if you have a fire or some other disaster in you garage. Your homeowners does not cover this - only an auto policy.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Just contacted Hargarty
they want $682 for two cars; bit higher than my State Farm quote...since I am in no real hurry I will keep shopping. My cars are stored outside so 'in the gurage damage' is not applicable but might apply to other cars I have in there. Thaniks for your suggestions...

Grundy seems not 'on line' today will try later

Grundy seems not 'on line' today will try later

Last edited by wally; 03-27-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by wally
My cars are stored outside so 'in the gurage damage' is not applicable

Wally,

This might be a problem, most of the carriers require that cars be kept in lockable garages. So be sure to check that detail on whatever policy you get.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I too, have State Farm as my auto, home, and business insurer.
I checked with a few of the collector car insurers, and then took their quotes to my agent.

He was able to beat every other one, with only ONE provision.

I will need to get the car appraised for the agreed value dollar amount.

For the same information I used with all the others, he was able to nearly cut the lowest one in HALF.

The Malibu is scheduled to come off winter suspension April 1, so I have until then to get an appraisal.

I will follow up here on what else I come up with or find.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.