Hot Rod Forum banner

color change.. need some advise please

735 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
sup everybody? I just got through spraying a Honda accord BC cc red for a lady.Now she is not satisfied with the color that she picked out,she is wanting to change to a metallic silver. thanks guys for the info on spi, I sprayed the car with spi universal clear and let me tell you I'm pretty impresses with the way it sprayed and looks!great customer service also.anyways what is the best way at this point to change colors?the clear is not even fully cured yet?can I get away with sanding this car down with 400 and put it in the sun for a day and catch some UV rays and then base coat? any and all info will be appreciated thanks dan.....

#2 ·
Color Change.......

Hi Danny,that lady picked the color? and shes not satisfied? i hope you are charging her FOR 2 PAINT JOBS.i personally would wait about a week,for a good cure of the CC,then sand car with maybe 400 grit,to start,then again with 600 grit. wipe with grease and wax remover,have the lady there,to see a fender as you spray it,if shes not satisfied,kick her A--(hope shes NOT your wife,GF or mother in law) make her pay you for the FIRST PAINT JOB,before trying to please her. :smash: :smash:

#3 ·
That nice spi clear on there, is now a good sealer for the new paint job.

I haven't had too many problems with repainting over urethane clears the next day, but there is always risks with fresh clear still gassing and then going back and dumping more solvent on again, and also depends on how it was applied, ie what kind of flash times were allowed, the temps, and if you had to dump on the clear because of a cheaper spray gun.

I'd sand it down with around 600 wet for a silver(all silvers are metallic). Its probably one of the greatest risk colors of showing sanding scratches if you go too course. Once its all sanded down and the pours open, set it outside and get it some sun and uv exposure to help solvents escape. The longer you can wait and allow it to cure and solvents to escape the better, but even a day or two in the sun, and hopefully there won't be too many problems encountered on recoat.

Definately, she pays for a new paint job. As if guys didn't have enough problems picking a color for there ride, I can just imagine what a women goes through when picking a color out. :D

#4 ·
kenseth17 said:
That nice spi clear on there, is now a good sealer for the new paint job.

I haven't had too many problems with repainting over urethane clears the next day, but there is always risks with fresh clear still gassing and then going back and dumping more solvent on again, and also depends on how it was applied, ie what kind of flash times were allowed, the temps, and if you had to dump on the clear because of a cheaper spray gun.

I'd sand it down with around 600 wet for a silver(all silvers are metallic). Its probably one of the greatest risk colors of showing sanding scratches if you go too course. Once its all sanded down and the pours open, set it outside and get it some sun and uv exposure to help solvents escape. The longer you can wait and allow it to cure and solvents to escape the better, but even a day or two in the sun, and hopefully there won't be too many problems encountered on recoat.

Definately, she pays for a new paint job. As if guys didn't have enough problems picking a color for there ride, I can just imagine what a women goes through when picking a color out. :D
I would agree only I would use 800 grit on fresh clear as it is still soft but thats just my opion

#5 ·
Of course to sand the clear with 800 and "Opening it" THEN let it set for a few days to fully flash off any solvents wouldn't be a bad idea. But repainting something the next day is common and isn't a big deal AS LONG AS that clear IS fully cured and wasn't hosed on and not subjected to the proper temp for the proper length of time to kick it!

The other BIG factor is if you were to cut thru the clear when sanding it, DO NOT do that. Solvents from the next application will get under it lifting it.

On the color, there is NO WAY I would repaint that car for no cost if she picked it out!

This is how I used to solve the color change issue. I never, NEVER let the customer pick the color from a chip, NEVER. I never EVER let the customer pick the color by a name, "I want that desert sunset mist poly on the new Hondas". :rolleyes:

This is the ONLY way I EVER change the color of a car. I let the customer pick the color, I then buy a small amount of the color and spray it out on a nice large test panel (a square foot or so) and show it to them. I then have them SIGN the test panel. That is it baby, the color is theirs. Now, I have to tell you, this isn't so much to screw them over with a paint job they don't want, it is to CONFIRM what color they want! I am the professional, it is MY Job to be sure they get the color they want. Without spraying it out on a test panel so they can get a good look at it, I have not done my job to ensure that they get what they want.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.