Hot Rod Forum banner

Color Code Help ?

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Nailhead2x4 
#1 · (Edited)
....I know this is really a shot in the dark, but just wondering if anyone can help me track down a color code here. I have had a color basically picked for my 49 chev 5 window project, it's a special color on a 2002 Freightliner called Light Amethyst ( met pearl ). But the other day I was browsing at the hundreds of trucks on carnut.com and finally I found one that is painted similar to what I want. In fact I kinda like it even better cause it appears slightly darker. But there is no forum there or a way to track down the owner that I could see. Can anyone here help me figure out what this color may be exactly or give me the code/formula (base/clear) so I can mix up a sample to try out here ? Thanks in advance for any help. Attached is a pic of that 48 chev .

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
That is a Dupont-Imron (5000) supplied by them to Freightliner, other companies may have the mix or close but will be hard to find.

Best bet is go to Dupont store in look in fleet chip book or next best may be Sikkens / Akzo store and look in book under freightliner.

Once you get the code then you can call and see who can mix it in what system but you will need the imron 5000 code first.

That color may also be under the 6000 system but it seems to me it is in both the 5000 and 6000 series, so look in both charts.
Don't remember as been a long time since looked.

#4 · (Edited)
BarryK said:
That is a Dupont-Imron (5000) supplied by them to Freightliner, other companies may have the mix or close but will be hard to find.

Best bet is go to Dupont store in look in fleet chip book or next best may be Sikkens / Akzo store and look in book under freightliner.

Once you get the code then you can call and see who can mix it in what system but you will need the imron 5000 code first.

That color may also be under the 6000 system but it seems to me it is in both the 5000 and 6000 series, so look in both charts.
Don't remember as been a long time since looked.
That's for the Freightliner paint but he is wanting something similar to the paint on the truck he shows. Without knowing the owner of the truck and what paint he has exactly, there is no way of knowing what it is. For starters, I would print off a couple of pics on some photo paper and take it to your local paint supplier. They have literally thousands of samples. You can get close, but it will not be a perfect match. And it does appear to have pearl in it. To get it to match perfectly, you would need to know the type of paint, the type of base, sealer, amount and color of pearl additive. You also have to remember that different computer monitors will show the pics differently. No different than walking into an electronics store and looking at 100 TV's lining the walls. All pictures are different. Take the pics and let your paint guy and you decide what is the closest to the color shown. I can almost guarantee that once it is painted with what you pic out, you will be more than satisfied. You might also try going to some of the popular Chevy sites and see if anyone knows who's truck it is, then e-mail tham. ChevyTalk would be a good place to start, and then the '68 - '72 chevy truck site, and try to narrow it down that way.

#6 ·
Looks like I possibly found the right truck in a search. http://www.cartorque.co.za/0201.htm Didn't take long. I was guessing that color would have a lilac pearl in it. So a search for lilac 48 chevy pickup and bingo brought up this site as one of the first search results. Says owner is ray exton and the truck was at nats held in south africa. Did a further work, and this site gives more information. http://www.sahotrods.com/carsonline.php?car=40 Wonder if detective work pays any better then auto body, lol, but hey you got some for free. Once in a while long shots pan out, and you have a start anyways.

#7 ·
Well, seeings that I am killing time on the 'ole 'puter today, I'll help out with a little more "detective" work. In doing a search for Ray Exton, a site came up for an Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg club. http://www.acdclub.org/AcdforumCars/Exton/default.htm There is a guy named named Ray in Knysna, South Africa, whom is the same one with the truck
I have had quite a few classics over the years, including a 34 Chev, 56 Chev, 76 Corvette Stingray, 1948 Chev Pick-up Streetrod and a 1950 Hudson Pacemaker Coupe, but continued to dream of owning that Cord. Things took a turn when I met Mike Otto who is the owner of a beautiful Cord Beverly A friendship developed and Mike was able to persuade Ced Pearce, the owner of a Custom Berline and a Sportsman to part with a 810 Westchester that had been in his barn for over twenty years. Mike and Cedric have owned and built quite a few Cords and are "The Cord Gurus" in South Africa. (See Cords i
His website links to here http://cordinsa.visible.co.za/ and at the end is his e-mail address. Case solved. Good job Kenseth17 :thumbup:

#8 ·
..well I just popped in for a minute and can't believe the great responses I got in just a few hours. Awesome detective work guys. I will check the links out asap. Yeah, I had the color picked about 4 years ago when the Freihtliner pulled into my yard, got the code from it L5320EB and said that will be on my 49 someday. Well I'm only doing the body right now but I just happen to stumble across this other one as it is not a common color out there. I want my truck to be alittle off the norm in color, from the olds diesel under the hood to the 200 o/d shifted by lightning rods etc. My paint guy is suppose to mix me up a sample of the freightliner next week when they can get the mix as it is not in the books here and the home base in the usa said they will send it out when they get back to full staff after the holliday's here. They even said they never seen that color and were surprised it was on a semi . Anyways thanks again for the help, and if anyone has a similar color they used in the past feel free to let me know as I am still open to the choice. Take a look at what that 48 has for a interior, right hand drive !!!, so the link to africa just adds up now. ... :thumbup:

Attachments

#13 ·
I wondered if they ever made a right hand drive of these trucks. The fire wall has a little hump where the columm would go, but that was it. Most early cars had many other places where the whole shebang could be moved over. But the truck only had that one piece of evidence that it was thought of. I never new they actually did it, cool.

Brian

#14 ·
....well I just got in touch with Ray, the owner of the 48 pictured. The paint was just hand mixed, they took light lilac and kept adding silver pearl to it untill the test panels looked right and they did the truck. So no formula exists. Guess I'll have to see what I can come up with to suit my eye. I'll ask Ray about the right hand drive if it actually came from factory or did they modify the truck like that. Anyways I really appreciate the awesome help to my original post, kenseth17 and Kevin45 you make good detectives.... :thumbup:

#15 ·
Glad you got in touch with ray, and he responded to your questions.
The reason I thought lilac, was a few years ago I looked at a lot of darker silver greys to use on a car I was painting, and noticed they had a newer tungsten grey mustang, and it gave a cast similar to that truck in the sunlight, and it had a bit of lilac pearl in that color. I ended up going If I understand you right, it is a lilac with silver pearl added, wouldn't have guessed that, but does make sense how it appears silver in areas the light hits. I haven't done a lot with custom colors, usually only shoot what the paint store mixes up for the code I give them.

Guess you have a few test panels to shoot, but if you do go with a custom mix, right down everything you did and used to make future repairs easier.

If you get in touch with ray again, you should tell him to head on over to this site and sign up. Looks like he has some neat cars (and a nice truck).

#16 ·
kenseth17, yeah I talked to Ray again and invited him to join us here and he said he will check us out definetly. And he tells me that GM had a plant there till the 70's and right hand drive is how they were made, even his 56 chev was right hand. So that is something new for me to learn of and I'm sure for most of us here to see. As far as the paint I will have to play with it just to see what happens. I never had a pearl before, but like Ray says the silver pearl shows up in the light thus changes the color like seen in the pics. I'm a long way off from spraying it yet, but can't wait to get this project on the road.

#17 ·
Nailhead2x4 said:
kenseth17, yeah I talked to Ray again and invited him to join us here and he said he will check us out definetly. And he tells me that GM had a plant there till the 70's and right hand drive is how they were made, even his 56 chev was right hand. So that is something new for me to learn of and I'm sure for most of us here to see.
That is very cool to learn. I have had one of these trucks for over thirty years and always wondered. Now I know!

Brian

#18 · (Edited)
....I been asking Ray about the differences I see in his truck, and more that I found new to me is that he said originally the fuel tank was behind the seat and the filler was on the right side. Well our north american trucks all had the filler on the right side, and 48's here had external tank and no filler hole in the cab, at least that is what I see in my 48 from the dozen all original 48-54's I have here in my graveyard. Also over there factory heaters were not installed so his never had the fresh air louvers on the right side . Interesting how the factory's did some things different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.