color difference in 2 k primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 07:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

color difference in 2 k primer

I have my car in gray 2k primer and had to buy another gallon of the same 2k to spot in some places where I went down to epoxy. The problem is there is a difference in the shade of gray even though it was mixed the same and the same brand. My question is how important is the color being the same shade of gray when it comes to bc/cc? It's not a big difference in the 2 grays but enough to see where I spotted it in.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Farfegnugen

Last journal entry: logo fun!
Last photo:

I had a few shades of primer when I was ready to spray my base coat also. I sprayed three coats of my white base coat and I did not have any trouble with coverage being consistent. I was painting white, so I am pretty sure I would have noticed if one area was effected by the color difference. I have heard a lot of people say that the primer color does make a difference, but I could not see any in my particular project. I would venture to guess that it may depend on what color you are painting, what type of paint you are using, etc.... Hope that helps....
Old 05-27-2005, 10:25 AM

Thanks VWFAN, I was thinking that if it did show in the first coat that it may not in the 2nd or 3rd, but if it did it would be too late at that point. I don't know if white covers better or worse than other colors but it seems you would be able to see a difference if it was there. I'm just trying not to spray a sealer coat since i'm already sanded to 400 grit and almost ready to spray.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:15 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

It will be fine. A slight variation is not going to throw off the paint scheme.

Matthew
Old 05-28-2005, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

only time it would matter is if it was a primer used as a base for a tranparent candy paint or something. With the basecoat/clear you spray enough coats of base till you can't see the undercoat (primer) through the base anymore then clear. In fact cars are often painted with different colors, like you have a factory color, but some repair areas with say grey primer. Then you might paint the spots of primer with the basecoat first and get them somewhat covered before spraying the whole car. If you sprayed a sealer most are non sanding, so it would be sprayed just prior to the basecoat and wouldn't have to be sanded if it was applied well. But if you primered the whole body you won't need a sealer. It would only be benificial if you had a poor covering color or a primer that the base would take forever to cover, or to get the body all one color. When I use to use the yellow urethane primer at a used car dealer, would spray a sealer even if the whole body was primed because that yellow was hard to cover a lot of times.

Last edited by kenseth17; 05-28-2005 at 08:42 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.