Which color first? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Which color first?

I am getting ready to put down my base coat (Prospray) and my quesion is do I spray down the black and mask off for my stripe and then spray redover the rest of the car, or do I spray all red, tape off, and then spray my black on the striped areas?

Its viper red (solid no metalic) and black. Any coverage issues or color bleedthrough to worry about?

CLark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
I have to tell you unless you have quite a bit of experience shooting bs/cc I would highly recommend to shoot the main color, clear it, then put the stripes on top of the clear. If you are really worried about an edge, prep the whole panel for clear, tape the stripe off, paint it, remove the tape and then clear the whole panel.

But base coat can be very touchy, masking can leave marks. A little mess up can mean shooting the first color again, there are a lot of things that can go wrong with this plan. If you are up to it, cool, it's done every day. But if you aren't pretty handy around this stuff I say save the "perfect" plan for next time and shoot the clear and then stripe it over that. Doing it that way is a piece of cake.

Brian
Old 04-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Southern Polyurethane makes an intercoat cleat specially for the sot of deal you are doing..shoot your base then the intercoat and then tape on that for the stripes..I suppose other guys have a similar material but that works for me..

Sam
Old 04-23-2012, 04:21 PM

My hood scoops are already black base coat and clear coated. If I scratch the idea of doing a black center section on the hood, could I just sand out the clear coat on my scoops with a wet 600 and apply red BC / clear coat over the existing black?
Just exploring my options at this point.

Clark
Old 04-23-2012, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

Absolutely you could do that without a thought, that is exactly what I suggested with the second color. Paint, clear, then sand the clear (it doesn't need to be as coarse as 600, 800 or a thousand is fine) and spray your new color.

I say to go with the finer paper because you DO NOT want to cut thru that clear, the solvent in next thing you spray over it can soak thru the thin clear or under a spot sanded thru and wrinkle it. Just sand it smooth or near smooth is all you need.

Brian
Old 04-23-2012, 05:03 PM

I already rubbed it out with 1200 wet today.... would that be too fine to create a mechanical adhesion?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:19 AM

Last photo:

By all rights, that is fine but you know, I am still kinda old school and have to go with 800-1000.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.