Color...Opps! Any fix? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Color...Opps! Any fix?

Hi gang!

A little history....I bought a PT Cruiser a couple of years back as a daily driver. The car had been repainted a lighter and brighter shade of metallic green than the factory color and I liked it but had no idea what the color code was. The clear recently started peeling on it so I took it to Maaco to have it repainted BC/CC. They, of course, had to try to match the unknown paint color on it. Well, when I went to pick the car up yesterday evening I burst into tears as soon as I spotted it from the highway because it is the WRONG color. A truly ugly shade of green if ever I've seen one. To dark, to blue, and way too little metal flake. Since the shop was already closed for the day I haven't spoken to them about this yet but I seriously doubt that they are going to be willing to completely repaint the car since they only promised to get a "close" color match. (Obviously, their idea of close and mine are worlds apart. ) I'm way too upset right now to even call and discuss this with them because I'll use some very unlady like language if I try. So, I need some advice before I call them. Is there anything short of a complete repaint that could be done to alter the color? I'm thinking that some gold pearl, for example, over the exsisting color might make it looks worlds better but is that possible to do without removing the clear coat that they just applied?

I'd really like to hear any suggestions that ya'll have. I'm not sure that I can get them to do anything to fix the problem but I absolutely can not live with the car as it is now so, even if I have to take it to another shop or do it myself the color has got to be fixed. BTW, they really did a nice job on the car. I'd be happy with their work if the color wasn't so awful.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
They'll shoot it again, PERIOD, if you insist. This is a bodyshop owners 101 problem. If you have half a brain you learn this lesson in the first frew months of running a shop. So either this guy just started or he is real dumb.

ANY TIME you are shooting a color that isn't matched exactly to what the customer had you spray out a test panel and have the customer sign it, PERIOD. NOTHING less, you spray it out and let them have a good look at it and SIGN the panel.

Brian
Old 03-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply Brian. I hope you are right about them being willing to repaint it. Since there's only one place in town that color matches paint and they've already blown it once I'm thinking that I'll likely have to go sit down with their books and try to match the color myself. Here's a shot of the color I'm trying to find. (Sorry for the poor quality. The door jambs are all that's left and it's pouring rain.) If anyone has any guesses as to what color this is, a make, of even a year range that would be big help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	37127  
Old 03-26-2009, 10:56 AM

Awe Maaco, the Jiffy Lube of the autobody world. That is where the flunkies go work that don't have enough talent to work in a real shop.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 AM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

I found this site the other day and there are a ton of good paint chips available here.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorli...arch/search.pl

It looks a bit like the color on an Olds Achieva (1990) that I had. http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...90-gm-pg05.jpg The 93 up Camaro had a similar color. But really you are going to be looking for ahwile. There are so many different shades out there and even a couple of drops of tint can change it quite noticeably. I once had a Izuzu Impulse with charcoal metallic and when it got hit the body shop never could get the 1/4 panel quite right. they were using the factory code but it was alway a tad darker than stock.

It's probably worse since your dealing with maaco.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.